Another NYC watch event with your hosts: Timecat and yours truly, the Dark Overlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkoverlord

Tyme Master Jr.
As the title would suggest: Robert (Timecat) and I had the opportunity to meet up today for another NYC watch excursion.

Today we decided to check out the: Watchmakers: The Masters of Horology Exhibition at Phillips Gallery in NYC.

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/EX080118

Billed as a traveling exhibition of "some of the world's most important watchmakers." NYC is the second stop of this world-wide tour. The exhibition is on display right now and is free to the public until 4/30/18. Phillips is an art and jewelry gallery that is most well-known for it auctions. So in addition to the exhibition, there were quite a few pieces to look at for an upcoming auction. A complete set-up of Rolex Daytonas, plus a mix of other brands ranging from JLC, to Omega, Patek to Breguet and others. There was also an original Breitling Super Ocean (nice.)

The Watchmakers exhibit included watches by: Philippe Dufour, Hajime Asaoka, Christophe Claret, Ludovic Ballouard, De Bethune, Laurent Ferrier, Romain Gauthier, Vianney Halter, Christian Klings, Jean-Daniel Nicolas, Roger W. Smith and Kari Voutilainen.

As is typical of me, I was earlier, so before meeting up with Robert, I headed to the Breitling Boutique... as I explained to Robert, my radar generally takes me straight to Breitling. There I was able to see some of their new modesl, the new Navitimer 8 and the New Colts

We met up then and Robert was nice enough to treat me to lunch, as it happens we were both wearing Breitlings today:

It was a small exhibit but still nice to see. Here are some watches, I'm sure Robert will add more pics:

Romain Gauthier

Kari Voutilainen

Christophe Claret

Viani Halter

Since we had time and the exhibition was small, we went over to the Tourneau Time Machine afterwards which houses so many brands: Tag, Cartier, Breitling, IWC, Panerai, Rolex, Longines, Mondaine, Ball, Luminox, Patek, Piaget, Glashutte Original, Blancpain, Zenith, Frederique Constant, Baume & Mercier, Jean Richard, Hamilton, Tissot, Franck Muller, Oris, Shinola, Mido and I'm sure others I have forgot.

Here are some pics, I'll let Robert tell the rest of the story.

oh and before I give way to Robert... here are some outlandishly over the top pieces from the window of Jacob and Co:

I'm in love with the Christophe Claret. Thanks for sharing.

I'm in love with the Christophe Claret. Thanks for sharing.

Yes the Claret X-treme really is magic. The time is told by the two floating spheres on either side of the watch case. I was familiar with this piece before arriving and it's use of pressurized tubes but wasn't aware until I did a little reading at home that Claret actually uses magnetic fields to make the balls move up and down in time. (I had previously thought it was all done with the air pressure.)

Robert and I happened to be there as 12:59 was turning to 1pm so we tried to catch the balls moving to the new start position. I think he got the minutes, I didn't get it. To be fair, as cool as this is, the timing was off. The minute ball indicator moved from 59 to 00 and it then took at least another 20 sec+ for the hour indicator to change. So it isn't synced perfectly. Though I guess if you're buying that watch you do it for the amazing technology, the look and to say you have it in your collection. Not for COSC timing. :wink:

the breathing private equity sale looks like they have pumped up R & D and shined many models-

the BP50F is a heart thumper-

luv me arm chair watch shopping

Yes the Claret X-treme really is magic. The time is told by the two floating spheres on either side of the watch case. I was familiar with this piece before arriving and it's use of pressurized tubes but wasn't aware until I did a little reading at home that Claret actually uses magnetic fields to make the balls move up and down in time. (I had previously thought it was all done with the air pressure.)

Robert and I happened to be there as 12:59 was turning to 1pm so we tried to catch the balls moving to the new start position. I think he got the minutes, I didn't get it. To be fair, as cool as this is, the timing was off. The minute ball indicator moved from 59 to 00 and it then took at least another 20 sec+ for the hour indicator to change. So it isn't synced perfectly. Though I guess if you're buying that watch you do it for the amazing technology, the look and to say you have it in your collection. Not for COSC timing. :wink:

Then I'm guessing it's in line with HYT the way they use fluid to tell TIME. The casing of the X-treme reminds me of Hublot's Ferrari TIMEpiece. I can imagine the thrill of seeing such a beautiful TIMEpiece as the X-treme, the anxiety for lack of a better word it may have given to want to own a TIMEpiece of that stature.

Great time yesterday!

I will add my pics today or tomorrow....

Thanks for the show. :bravo:

Then I'm guessing it's in line with HYT the way they use fluid to tell TIME. The casing of the X-treme reminds me of Hublot's Ferrari TIMEpiece. I can imagine the thrill of seeing such a beautiful TIMEpiece as the X-treme, the anxiety for lack of a better word it may have given to want to own a TIMEpiece of that stature.

Woody, you're in Manhattan aren't you? Head down to check it out. Right on Park Ave.

​Some very impressive pieces, indeed. Thanks for sharing, Gavin.

Awesome field trip wish I could have participatedthanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Gavin. I never get tired of seeing this stuff. So cool that you & Robert can get together for lunch & watches! :drink:

Had a great time at the exhibit/auction preview with Gavin. Gavin is tough because he knows so much more than I do, especially about the higher end stuff. Any time we get into a friendly disagreement about some factual aspect of a watch or brand, I always discover when I get home and Google it that Gavin was right!!!

These first few pics are from the auction.

Breitling Superocean and Monaco McQueen

View attachment 14821

I think the preauction estimate on this Rolex was $40,000

View attachment 14823

Cool Breguet that I had never seen before
View attachment 14824

We went to Tourneau next, and I was trying on watches like a fiend!

This is a new version of the Cartier Santos. You can size the bracelet and completely remove the bracelet from the case without any tools. You just push tiny buttons on the inside of the bracelet and everything comes apart and goes back together.
View attachment 14825

This Patek Gondolo is $10,000 more than the other one I tried on because it has the gray dial. It's also platinum. Crazy prices!
View attachment 14826

Ball Hydrocarbon Spacemaster Orbital II--this was the biggest Ball I could find in the store @45MM
View attachment 14827

Gavin and I both liked these Glashuttes. I preferred the bracelet with the chrono. I think it was $16,000....
View attachment 14828

Zenith always gets me. I think this Type 20 was "only" $10,000
View attachment 14829

Smaller version.....
View attachment 14830

IWC Petit Prince
View attachment 14831

After we left Tourneau, we were literally right in front of Breitling, so I felt obliged to go in.....

This is the 45MM Avenger Hurricane, made of Breitling's composite material called Breitlight
View attachment 14832

This is the 50MM version. I didn't know that Breitling made a 50MM Avenger
View attachment 14833

This is the 44MM Chronomat that Lee has had various deals on recently. I do like it but I felt like it might be just a little too shiny for me....
View attachment 14834

Now, for the surprise ending, I will tell you that both Breitling and Tourneau have these long term, 0% financing deals on now. And one of these watches came home with me.

Anybody want to take a guess as to which one?

Better stay away from this stuff, Robert. You're gonna get stung... :nope:

Had a great time at the exhibit/auction preview with Gavin. Gavin is tough because he knows so much more than I do, especially about the higher end stuff. Any time we get into a friendly disagreement about some factual aspect of a watch or brand, I always discover when I get home and Google it that Gavin was right!!!

Now, for the surprise ending, I will tell you that both Breitling and Tourneau have these long term, 0% financing deals on now. And one of these watches came home with me.

Anybody want to take a guess as to which one?

Don't sell yourself short buddy... you know plenty!

Can I guess which watch went home with you... :wink:

oh and I have to agree, that Glashutte was the watch of the day for me. I mean I already know I'm going to love a lot of Breitlings and some of the other normal players... but never had the chance to try the Glashutte Originals on before. Great details in design esp on those dials. The one that was 25% off might have been tempting if you could also do the financing with the sale price.

I didn't see this at the end of your post, Robert -
"Now, for the surprise ending, I will tell you that both Breitling and Tourneau have these long term, 0% financing deals on now. And one of these watches came home with me.

Anybody want to take a guess as to which one?"

Looking forward to seeing what ya got (the IWC woulda been my choice). :)

Some pretty neat stuff there. I especially love the Claret

Tanks Gavin for the field trip !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom