"I Am Not a Beast" Ocean7 Ploprof

Status
Not open for further replies.

timecat

Tyme Twister
Founding Member
This arrived yesterday from the recent Touch of Modern Ocean7 sale.

I'm sure you are all familiar with the Ploprof design with the orange push button bezel lock. Omega launched the original Ploprof (which is a word combination of Plongeur and Professional, French pronunciation) in 1970, and did a reissue some years back--I want to say 2006. They upped the WR from 600 Meters to 1,200 Meters. I owned that 1,200 Meter Omega Ploprof on the mesh bracelet for a year or two but it was just way too heavy to wear, so I sold it. Before that, I also had the Ocean7 homage stainless version, but it was also pretty heavy even on the Nato Strap I was wearing it on.

This was the older stainless version:

attachment.php

So I sold that and decided to wait and try to pick up one of these hardened titanium versions, and here it is!

Now, the Ploprof has a reputation as being a beast, and I think that's mostly because of it's size, but also to some extent because of the weight...This new hardened titanium version is so light and easy to wear that it just screams at me "I am NOT a Beast"! LOL! But honestly, it's almost like an optical illusion or something, because the watch is so light that I look down at it and aside from being lighter in weight, it just looks smaller than the older stainless version. Could be the darker color of the titanium, or it's just my imagination. Specs are the same in terms of size, I believe--42MM x 55MM. Wears like a 47MM I'd say.

View attachment 14614

Watch is a great timekeeper--runs on the Eta 2824.
View attachment 14615

View attachment 14617

Comes with 2 bezels, blue ceramic and titanium.
View attachment 14618

I haven't tried the titanium bezel on yet, but I put it on top of the other bezel just to get an idea of how it will look. I like both but I'll probably keep the blue bezel on there for now. Both bezels are lumed, but the titanium bezel only has lume at the 12 triangle.
View attachment 14616

Ocean7 does nuclear lume.
View attachment 14619

View attachment 14620

This is by far a more wearable watch than it's predecessor or the Omega stainless version. Omega also has a titanium version out, but it's close to $10K. One day......

Anyway, I'm very, very happy with this one and have not taken it off since it got here--always a good sign, right?

Thanks for lookin' WITs!!!

That beast is a beaut, congrats! It reminds me of this one.

Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-orange-22790552199002-aBlogtoWatch-13.jpg
Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-orange-22790552199002-aBlogtoWatch-20.jpg
Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-orange-22790552199002-aBlogtoWatch-28.jpg

Robert - you sure know how to pick 'em. Congrats on another great score! :up:

You reminded me of the Helson monobloc Sharkmaster 600 that has eluded me.

1203264d1443877179-helson-sharkmaster-600-white-p1080346.jpg

1203268d1443877300-helson-sharkmaster-600-white-p1080350.jpg

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2012/04/helson-sharkmaster-600.html

The bezel which is lockable via the red button at 2 0'clock is available with either acrylic (899USD) or Sapphire crystal (999USD). It is of course a 60-click type. The dial, hands and bezel markers have been coated with Swiss C3 SuperLuminova.It is powered by a Swiss made movement, the 25 Jewel ETA 2824-2 automatic with 40hrs of power reserve. The Sharkmaster 600 is supplied with a mesh bracelet and HELSOfrane rubber divers strap.

HELSON%2BSharkmaster%2B600%2B04.JPG

HELSON%2BSharkmaster%2B600%2B05.JPG

You reminded me of the Helson monobloc Sharkmaster 600 that has eluded me.

1203264d1443877179-helson-sharkmaster-600-white-p1080346.jpg

1203268d1443877300-helson-sharkmaster-600-white-p1080350.jpg

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2012/04/helson-sharkmaster-600.html

The bezel which is lockable via the red button at 2 0'clock is available with either acrylic (899USD) or Sapphire crystal (999USD). It is of course a 60-click type. The dial, hands and bezel markers have been coated with Swiss C3 SuperLuminova.It is powered by a Swiss made movement, the 25 Jewel ETA 2824-2 automatic with 40hrs of power reserve. The Sharkmaster 600 is supplied with a mesh bracelet and HELSOfrane rubber divers strap.

HELSON%2BSharkmaster%2B600%2B04.JPG

HELSON%2BSharkmaster%2B600%2B05.JPG

Helson made one and Squale makes a slightly different version called the Tiger:

Catalogo3161.jpg

Robert - you sure know how to pick 'em. Congrats on another great score! :up:

Thank you Gary, but if I REALLY knew how to pick 'em, I wouldn't be selling the one to buy the other, etc......:dizzy:

it aint heavy it's my PLO PROF- nice review & horo etymology

enjoy incredible lightness of ti

Congrats Sir !!! :applaud:
Great choice.
Wear that deep diver in the best of health !!!

Congrats Sir !!! :applaud:
Great choice.
Wear that deep diver in the best of health !!!

Thank you!

Speaking of deep diver, I forgot to mention that the Ocean7 is a 1,250 Meter Diver. I guess they had to "one-up" the Omega, which is 1,200.

it aint heavy it's my PLO PROF- nice review & horo etymology

enjoy incredible lightness of ti

The "incredible lightness of ti" especially in a watch with this amount of metal really is almost hard to believe.....

I owned that 1,200 Meter Omega Ploprof on the mesh bracelet for a year or two but it was just way too heavy to wear, so I sold it.

If this is the same one you owned I'm wondering why the Omega seemed too heavy.:hmm:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-...o-axial-master-chronometer-2016-watch-review/

I respect Omega for taking on the challenge of further refining the Ploprof, a watch they could totally get away with calling the rugged, super niche model that can live on unmodified in the vast catalogue of Omega watches. Instead, the Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200M Co-Axial Master Chronometer features a superior movement and an updated case and bracelet, from steel to grade 5 titanium. Also known as Ti6Al4V, it is the most commonly used alloy of titanium that has a chemical composition of 6% aluminum, 4% vanadium, 0.25% iron, 0.2% oxygen, and the remainder being titanium. Titanium watches are not as rare these days as they were a few years ago, but their highly noticeable lightness and warmer touch over steel makes it easy to grasp why this modern material is deemed superior by many. The new-for-2016 Omega Seamaster Ploprof 1200M Co-Axial Master Chronometer wears light and super comfy, no matter how long the day ends up to be.

Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-Co-Axial-Master-Chronometer-orange-22790552199002-aBlogtoWatch-10.jpg

omega-ploprof-oblique-crown.jpg

The use of titanium for both case and mesh bracelet was an expected evolution. The light material increases the usability from a professional diver watch to ordinary use of day by day. Why is this important? The comfort of the watch is raised to a level where the presence of the watch becomes a real pleasure on the wrist. While the original in stainless steel felt hefty on the wrist, the review sample in titanium felt comfortable. The presence of the crown and crown protection at 9 o’clock does not interfere with the wrist. We can confirm that once on the wrist, the watch adapts easily and is light. Very light! Admirable for a watch with these dimensions and background.

https://www.deployant.com/review-omega-seamaster-ploprof-1200/

Brand: Omega
>Model: Seamaster Ploprof 1200M Co-Axial Master Chronometer
>Price: $13,800
>Size: 55 by 48 millimeters
>Would reviewer personally wear it: Money no object? Yes.
>Friend we'd recommend it to first: Said friend will probably know and want it already – the Ploprof is typically the watch you yourself discover you like.
>Best characteristic of watch: Fantastic case that's now more detailed and lighter. Great movement too.
>Worst characteristic of watch: Price; still a lot of heft on the wrist.

[QUOTE
This is by far a more wearable watch than it's predecessor or the Omega stainless version. Omega also has a titanium version out, but it's close to $10K. One day......][/QUOTE]

Probably had this one.
↓↓

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seamaster-ploprof-1200m-watch-review/

Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-watch-4.jpg
Omega-Seamaster-Ploprof-1200M-watch-16.jpg

Congrats man! That is a great looking watch. I remember seeing these on TOM. Enjoy it!

Thank you Gary, but if I REALLY knew how to pick 'em, I wouldn't be selling the one to buy the other, etc......:dizzy:

Maybe, my friend. But I know how you roll. The thrill of the hunt and all that good stuff. :wink:

That got me thinking about the "Incredible Lightness of Being" but how this worked
in you quest for such a cool Ocean !!! Congrats TC !!! Good background info too.

I get TOM emails, I didn't get 1 for this! What did it go for during the sale?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom