Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/fleetwood-mac-fires-lindsey-buckingham-w518925

lindsey-buckingham-leaves-fleetwood-mac-b8d446f4-9fb0-46c8-a4ec-af9d4c13bb4d.jpg

Fleetwood Mac has fired longtime member Lindsey Buckingham and will replace him with Neil Finn and Hearbreakers' Mike Campbell on tour

Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band's upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

Rob Sheffield on Why the Latest Fleetwood Mac Breakup Is Peak Mac
The band's firing of Lindsey Buckingham might be the most quintessential chapter yet in the band's epic saga of dysfunction

News of Buckingham's departure initially broke when former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette shared an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in." Rolling Stone has confirmed Buckingham's departure, though no specific tour dates have been announced.

Fleetwood Mac issued a collective statement about the news, saying: "We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Well that makes for a very disappointing tour. The real talent not in the band, or at least the most creative means no chance I'd go see this tour. Might as well just call it a day and go their own way.

Well that makes for a very disappointing tour. The real talent not in the band, or at least the most creative means no chance I'd go see this tour. Might as well just call it a day and go their own way.

Go your own way? How many decades have you been waiting to fit THAT in a conversation?
Well played, George, very well played!

That's ridiculous; he IS the band! That's like Dire Straits firing Marc Knoffler!

What a joke. For some reason dumb people will still go to a karaoke show for a 100$ a pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil Finn is a fantastic talent. Do you even know the music of Crowded House or Split Enz?
Not only is he a fantastic guitarist but also a wonderful song writer.

Neil Finn is a fantastic talent. Do you even know the music of Crowded House or Split Enz?
Not only is he a fantastic guitarist but also a wonderful song writer.

Sure he was great in his bands. Loved him with his brother Tim in Split Enz. Obviously the original Crowded House can't get back together being the drummer killed himself. Those though were his bands, not doing someone else's music. Obviously Mike Campbell is a great guitarist yet I'd consider this akin to going to a huge Broadway play expecting to see the main star and showing up and the understudy was playing the role that night. Sure the person would be talented, but it would still be a bit of a letdown even though the show otherwise would be no different. Part of Fleetwood Mac's appeal is their band history and complicated personal past together and how that plays out in concert can be pretty exciting and that doesn't come through with great hired guns.

You nailed it CG. It's true Fleetwood Mac has had interchangeable players throughout their history, but they did not break out until folk-rock duo Buckingham and Nicks joined the band. Their distinct sound is what pushed the band into the next level.

"In late 1974, while the band was scouting studios in Los Angeles, they were introduced to folk-rock duo Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The band sought to add Buckingham as their new lead guitarist, who agreed under the condition that Nicks, his singing partner and girlfriend at the time, also would join the band. The addition of Buckingham and Nicks caused the band to take on a more pop rock/folk rock sound, with their 1975 album Fleetwood Mac becoming their best selling record to date, reaching No. 1 in the US. Rumours (1977), Fleetwood Mac's second album after the incorporation of Buckingham and Nicks, produced four US Top 10 singles and remained at No. 1 on the American albums chart for 31 weeks, as well as reaching the top spot in various countries around the world. The album has sold over 40 million copies worldwide, making it the eighth-highest-selling album to date. During the recording of Rumours, the band went through personal turmoil, as both of the romantic partnerships in the band (John & Christine McVie and Buckingham & Nicks) separated, though the band kept making music together."

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/lindsey-buckingham-stevie-nicks-join-fleetwood-mac/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac

1975–1987: Addition of Buckingham and Nicks lead to mainstream success
After Welch announced that he was leaving the band, Fleetwood began searching for a possible replacement. While Fleetwood was checking out Sound City Studios in Los Angeles, the house engineer, Keith Olsen, played him a track which he had recorded in the studio, "Frozen Love", from the album Buckingham Nicks (1973). Fleetwood liked it, and was introduced to the guitarist from the band, Lindsey Buckingham, who coincidentally was at Sound City that day recording some demos. Fleetwood soon asked him to join. Buckingham agreed, on the condition that his music partner and girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, also become part of the band; Fleetwood agreed. Buckingham and Nicks joined the band on New Year's Eve 1974 (within 4 weeks of the previous incarnation splitting).[30][31]

In 1975, the new line-up released the eponymous Fleetwood Mac. The album proved to be a breakthrough for the band and became a huge hit, reaching No.1 in the US and selling over 5 million copies. Among the hit singles from this album were Christine McVie's "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me", and Stevie Nicks' "Rhiannon", as well as the much-played album track "Landslide" (a live rendition of which became a hit twenty years later on The Dance album).

I don't listen to this type of music, so not a big deal to me. As far as going to see a band with a different singer, I went and saw Drowning Pool a decade ago. Their lead singer had died from OD and they replaced him with the lead singer from Soil and dropped an album and then went on tour. It was a fantastic show, even without the original lead singer. That being said, I wouldn't go and see the likes of Korn or Five Finger Death Punch without their lead men because they are the band as far as I am concerned as well.

I've always been a big fan of Neil Finn and Mike Campbell ( Tom Petty Band), but the band just isn't the same missing the heart and soul of Lindsey Buckingham.

The fact they had to hire two more band members to replace one says it all.

Back
Top Bottom