My new favorite watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazzmatt

Tyme Teller
The following is a review of my newest favorite watch. I've kinda fallen in love recently with some really unique and expensive watches. Watches such as the Richard Mille Sapphire, the Hublot Ferrari and the Greubel Forsey Invention Piece 2. The unique case shapes architecture and complications contained therein make these watches significant monumental standouts even in the world of ultra high end watches. So, I decided it would be worth it to sell off my entire watch collection to fund that one true grail watch that would be the pinnacle of my and most other watch aficionados collection as well.

I did the math carefully. And then I re-did the math again. Not quite enough. Well I decided that I could throw in some more stuff to get to my goal. My pick-up, my Harley, my clothes, drums, guns, tools, everything. Unfortunately after all my calculations I would still be just about $240,000.00 short.

So, maybe a homage? Yes that was the ticket! I already have several very nice homage watches in my collection that to me represent the Rolex, Hublot, Omega, Tag and Breitling watches I desire. You see I have a champagne taste with a beer pocketbook. Or maybe actually a designer bottled water pocketbook. And the search commenced.

Eventually I came upon the Phantoms Lab Fighter Blade Watch PHTW306. A unique watch with beautiful architecture in the case and dial design, quality components and at a reasonable price. MSRP $840.00. https://phantomslab.com/blade-series/

The Blade series is one of four distinct lines which include automatic movements and even a couple of tourbillion models just in case you happen to have that champagne pocketbook. These run around $1,900+. My watch is the Fighter Blade which I think is the nicest one offered. Very well designed and individually styled but not too flashy. A sporty dressy example that you can wear with anything.

The unboxing. The watch comes in three boxes. First, a plain black card stock box that is pretty much what you'd expect from many other companies but with a neat plus. This outer box is lined with spongy foam sheets on the walls to give the next box, which fits tightly therein, a bit of a cushion. The next box is black again but made of even thicker heavier card stock and is very nicely textured and has the company name and logo printed on it in a silver script font. Lastly, you come to the third “display” box. This box is really very nice. The materials and design demonstrate the companies commitment to offering a high end presentation. The material is very heavy and solid and texture the same as the previous one but this time the texturing is more pronounced.

The box is black and has the manufacturers name and logo embossed on it in a thick chrome color. The logo is so stout that it almost appears to be an applied emblem. The font and logo are both unique to this maker. To open the box the left and right sides are folded away from the body of the box. The Phantoms Lab logo is also on the top, right side, of the box on a rounded coin like medallion which is situated so that when the box is folded closed it falls into a concave space on the left side of the top. This a very nice touch. When the box is opened you see the watch displayed on a very solid firm pillow through a window cut out of a placard which sets on four internal pillars inside the box itself. The box also contains the usual instruction manual, warranty card and a very large thick cloth that could be used as a pad for watch work.

The watch. This is a large heavy watch but not so much so that it is obtrusive or uncomfortable on the wrist. In fact, despite its size and weight, the shape of the watch combined with the large, wide, soft, silicon strap with its large dual deployant logo clasp makes this watch very secure and comfortable when worn.

The case is made of the standard stainless steel and the shape is so different that it defies the names and shapes of most conventional designs. It might be considered an elongated, rounded, tonneau. Phantom Labs call it a coffin shape and that fits pretty well. The case shape also makes the size dimensions a little hard to compare to other watches as well. The manufacturer states the case sizes as 42mm by 50mm without the lugs and crown.

The watch features a skeletonized dial and movement and this provides for a very attractive display.. The Seagull, PH2809, AA graded, 21 jeweled automatic movement is encased between sapphire crystals front and back. The website says the power reserve is 36 hours and my experience is that is correct and I found the movement to be very accurate so far.

But it is both the architecture of the case and dial that make this watch stand out the most. The angular dial is a mix between matte black and subdued green elements and there are luminous hour markers at the 11,12,1,5,6 &7 marks on the dial and white painted/printed numerals at the 2,3,4,8.9 & 10 marks on the underside of the front crystal which has an anti-reflective coating. The website states the markers are super luminous but does not use “Superluminova” in the description. Similarly the case material is listed as stainless with no type (316L) designated.

The case features both satin and polished areas and the bezel features numbers normally associated with dive watches which at a 50m rating this watch is not. The sides of the case also have sections which appear to be separately applied screwed down “plates” and if one of them little screws pops out you, the FBI, Scotland Yard and Gandalf will never be able to find it. The display case back and rotor are signed and case is numbered and serialized. The watch is a limited edition offering 100 pieces worldwide however mine is marked 10/99 so I guess the first one is number 0?. The overall fit and finish of this watch is absolutely excellent.

So is this watch as nice as the Richard Mille Sapphire, the Hublot Ferrari and the Greubel Forsey Invention Piece 2? Hell If I know! I've never even seen one of those watches outside pictures on the web! So Maybe it is! Does it do it for me? Does it represent what I was longing for? Yes, yes it does, thank you, and even more-so than I had expected.

View attachment 13434View attachment 13435View attachment 13436View attachment 13438View attachment 13437View attachment 13439View attachment 13440View attachment 13446View attachment 13445View attachment 13442View attachment 13443View attachment 13444View attachment 13441View attachment 13433

Great design, but my small wrist would never support this beauty. Sweet

Nice review and cool watch i like seagull movements great bang for the buck HQ mechanisms! Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Cool Design, Plus you didn't have to sell off your worldly possessions to achieve it!

Uniquely shaped and the strap is attached in proportion to the lug area.
The color scheme adds to the overall vibe. A big congrats !!!

Way to go Hazzmat. The case design certainly plays to the design of the Hublot Ferrari. Now you have me thinking. Congrats.
Haven't noticed you in awhile. Nice to see your back.

Totally unique piece, matt. I love different watches. Thanks for the info, and congrats on that bad boy!

attachment.php

I think you might be on to something here. Very, very interesting. I'm gonna take a peak at their website.....

Thanks for the post!

:outstand:A big congratulations on adding this piece to the collection!:up::applaud:

I really like these. I came really really close to getting one when they were on TOM. I was afraid they might play a tad small on the wrist since I go for 48mm+ pieces. How’s it play on the wrist??

I was told there would be limited reading :dizzy::grin

Way too much to read, so I just skipped ahead to the pics. Nice!

Very unique , thanks for the write up and congrats.

Thanks for all the feed-back,info & pictures. Congratulations on a cool watch acquisition :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom