PDA

View Full Version : SW500 issue

hkshooter
02-21-2016, 04:37 PM
I believe I've heard of this somewhere before but haven't found where I read about it. Looking for info.

I have an Invicta PD SW500. One of my favs, been on the site with pics many times. Yesterday I wound it to get it started and ready for the day when I noticed when hand winding the stem the rotor was turning. Important? Wrong? FUBARd? It runs fine and keeps time. What's says the hive?

rog1
02-21-2016, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a jammed reversing wheel. This kind of problem is usually not noticed because the watch will still autowind and run normally. There was once a discussion about this before WIT moved....but I can't find it anymore.

Sometimes this is a quick fix that I described in the aforementioned discussion......but do it at your own risk!!!!!

Smack the watch very hard into the palm of your hand....sometimes this will un-jam the reversing wheel.....you will know if it works because the rotor will free spin wildly on its own and then stop.... and/or..... the watch will just begin to hand wind normally again without rotor spin

Service may be required if the issue continues or bothers you. (simple fix for a pro)

Good luck :)

TymeBandit
02-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Yup, What Rog said ^^^^^

ddavidsonmd
02-21-2016, 05:41 PM
I had the same issue on an Invicta PD with an SW200. Didn't bother me so never spent the money fixing it.

takethe5th
02-21-2016, 06:57 PM
I had an S. Coifman that did the same thing. On its own, it freed itself. I believe (and have heard other anecdotal evidence) that often overlubrication causes the parts (rotor and winding mechanism) to stick a bit. It may just be gunked up. Consider it before doing anything drastic. I'm sure if you can't wait for it to separate, a local jeweler can de-gunk it for you.

hkshooter
02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys. I won't sweat it, still works.

WatchSteve
02-21-2016, 07:12 PM
I have a Deep Blue 7754 that does something similar. When handwinding the rotor spins the first couple of turns, but then stops and handwinds normally. Keeps great time and winds via the rotor with regular wear. Never been an issue.

hkshooter
02-21-2016, 07:15 PM
This watch has always had a stiff stem when winding, probably related. Just caught the spinning rotor yesterday though, felt it going around and looked. Much like Steve indicated, today it won't spin (I wore the watch all day yesterday) when I wind but you can see it try.

bearralph
02-21-2016, 09:10 PM
I have had this happen on more than a few 7750's, not yet on an SW500. The last one (A Grovana) got worse and finally the stem would not wind at all. The jeweler charged me $200 for a broken reversing wheel and cleaning. I'm not sure what causes this, but would love to know.

joejoepy
02-24-2016, 07:36 PM
I also had this issue with my reserve bolt sw 500 but I sold the watch to find my sw 500 specialty! My specialty actually did the same thing but my master watch maker in my area serviced the watch and no longer have an issues! My San 5 thank God never has had this problem and that watch also has a sw500 !

timeman
02-24-2016, 10:19 PM
Only experienced this on Swiss automatics e.g. ETA, never on a Japanese or Chinese movement. In addition to the rotor spinning watch wobbles too. Always though it meant the watch needed to be lubricated. Thanks for the actual reason.

rick
02-26-2016, 11:24 AM
My Android DM Enforcer 7750 has done this for a couple of years. It still takes the wind even though the rotor spins with it. It still keeps perfect time so I have just let it be. I find it interesting however that so many people have had this problem, I thought it was just me. I'm thinking I'm still just going to live with it as long as I can still wind it. If it ever stops I'll let Wing fix it......peace...

jskelton
02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Yes, as mentioned previously, it's a jammed reversing wheel, it can happen on pretty much any automatic, and is usually caused by lack of lubrication. If you don't manually wind the watch much, it won't cause any issues in reliability, however, the more you manually wind it, the worse the problem will become, and it will require service.

A little test to see if it's a real issue: Hold the watch vertically and slowly wind the crown. If the rotor doesn't spin, I would mess with it, you're fine. (Horizontally, many movements' rotors will spin when you wind it by the crown). If it does spin in that vertical position, you have old sticky lube (or there wasn't enough applied when it was assembled), and should be taken care of to reduce parts-wear over time.

Since the watchmaker needs only to remove the auto winding mechanism, and not take down the entire movement, it's a quick and inexpensive fix.

timeman
02-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Yes, as mentioned previously, it's a jammed reversing wheel, it can happen on pretty much any automatic, and is usually caused by lack of lubrication. If you don't manually wind the watch much, it won't cause any issues in reliability, however, the more you manually wind it, the worse the problem will become, and it will require service.

A little test to see if it's a real issue: Hold the watch vertically and slowly wind the crown. If the rotor doesn't spin, I would mess with it, you're fine. (Horizontally, many movements' rotors will spin when you wind it by the crown). If it does spin in that vertical position, you have old sticky lube (or there wasn't enough applied when it was assembled), and should be taken care of to reduce parts-wear over time.

Since the watchmaker needs only to remove the auto winding mechanism, and not take down the entire movement, it's a quick and inexpensive fix.

I've noticed holding the watch in different positions while manually winding makes the rotor spin and wobble either better or worse. So holding the watch in a horizontal or vertical position does affect the rotor spin as you mentioned.