Early Corvette Concept, GM Motorama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimz

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
27628570_10209179871012131_1516838152653086733_o.jpg

Very cool indeed.:happy: ​Thanks Jim.

I have never seen that particular photo before but I have seen other pictures of that concept Corvette - thanks for sharing! I think it was called the XP 700 and built in the late 1950s. Here's a GM publicity photo of it that is pretty well known amongst Corvette fans:

1958-Corvette-XP-700-Concept.jpg

I'm glad that they went with the body style that got the thumbs up in 1953. The extended grille on the concept car is just too far out there (literally) for my tastes.

One thing that's interesting is that the Corvette crossed flags emblem in the photo above is different than the one that was placed on the 1953 show car. It looks like the emblem that was used later when the Corvette went into production. The show car that was first revealed to the media in New York had an American flag crossed with a checkered flag. Chevrolet suits thought that it would be a crime to make money off of the American flag (back when Americans had ethical standards) so they quickly removed the US flag and replaced it with a red flag that bears the fleur de lis and a Chevrolet bow tie logo. (The fleur de lis is there because Louis Chevrolet was French.) The original emblem with the American flag amazingly was saved and it is now on display at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

80-original_corvette_logo_0ce8068cb83cce208975dc07ac779a371628bad6.jpg

The logo has gone through changes through the years but it still bears the crossed flags - one checkered and one with the Chevrolet bow tie logo.

logos-corvette.png

And if you have a non-Corvette Chevrolet vehicle like a Chevy truck, PLEASE for the love of God, don't stick a Corvette crossed flags badge on it. That just looks...lame. :no:

Now that is cool retro. Wonder why it was never produced

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk and monitored by the NSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom