A grail purchase decades in the making.... my new BREITLING! (pics added 1-13-18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkoverlord

Tyme Master Jr.
fFywMM3KvCjy3E8RrtEsh72M5bGyOjegq3GiyGzKCTzg79RycHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwfEX8DzMrB1pfYNjrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

fFywMM3KvCjy3E8RrtEsh72M5bGyOjegq3GiyGzKCTzg79RycHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwcHBwfEX8DzMrB1pfYNjrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

breitling-logo-wallpaper.jpg

This is a journey over 30 years in the making. Since I was a young lad, I’ve loved watches, and aviation and I’ve always wanted a Breitling. A grail purchase that I said to myself many times over, “you’ll get there one day” and then just as often “this may not happen.” Well today was the day.

home_image.4593703.jpg

I got up this morning, knowing. My wife had told me a couple weeks ago that she planned to get me one for Christmas but we agreed that the experience would be better if I were a part of it. She had cleared away some bills and wanted to make this happen for me and I gotta say I’m grateful for that, grateful for her and my family. (My oldest daughter was as excited for me as anyone.) So I got up today, got ready to go and DIDN’T put on a watch. Something I haven’t done in a long time.
There are many B’lings that I fancy. The Transocean Unitimer being a ultimate super-grail along the lines of something that I probably would never spend money on. The Navitimer as well. But for now I was longer at the Avenger line as well as the Super Ocean Heritage and more specifically the newer second generation. To that end I tried on quite a few pieces at the Breitling boutique today. And ultimately one piece won me over.
IMG_1705 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1706 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1707 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
(Wife in their comfy seating area)
IMG_1708 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1709 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
I started by looking at the Avengers figuring I would narrow down each range to compare models. I tried on the GMT in black (43mm) the Seawolf in black (45mm) and two Avenger Blackbirds (48mm and 44mm USA boutique only version.)
IMG_1711 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1712 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1710 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1713 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
I then moved on to the SOH IIs which I had already narrowed down to blue/silver and blue/blue.
IMG_1719 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1715 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
What followed was a very difficult choice between these three watches. The Avenger was comfortable as all get-out. And the black makes it really versatile, IMO. Please this design is just quintessential Breitling. The SOH model is one I’ve admired for a long time and the stratus silver dial with the blue bezel was always on the short list. In the new SOH II B’ling has updated the bezel to ceramic, added a lume pip at 12 and now uses the “in-house” Tudor shared movement sporting 70hrs of power reserve and coming with a 5 year warranty based on the “in-house” status of the movement.
IMG_1714 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1716 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
Here are more pics of the boutique:
IMG_1717 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
(When they give you water it’s in this special glass, they also offered us champagne following the purchase but we declined.)
Shots from upstairs where they “museum of classic pieces reside
IMG_1720 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1725 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1726 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1727 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1728 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
And my choice…..?
IMG_1746 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
Besides throwing in a hat (and promising me a pen when the new ones came in) they also threw in this blue croco strap… valued at $600 (give or take) and awesome throw in as I would never, ever pay that for a strap…. EVER.
IMG_1718 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
Enjoy the rest of the pics and thanks for sharing the experience with me.
IMG_1752 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1750 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1749 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1748 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1747 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1745 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1743 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1742 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1741 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1740 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1739 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1738 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

IMG_1739 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

IMG_1736 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1735 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1734 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1732 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1729 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1733 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

IMG_1757 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1756 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1755 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1754 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

IMG_1784 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

IMG_1786 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1787 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1788 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1789 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1790 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr
IMG_1792 by Gavin Gear, on Flickr

MOVEMENT

CaliberBreitling B20 (Manufacture)
MovementSelfwinding, high frequency
Power reserveMin. 70 hrs
Vibration28,800 v.p.h
Jewel28 jewels
CalendarDial aperture

CASE

CaseSteel with ceramic bezel, steel & gold
BackScrewed in
Water resistance200 m (660 ft)
BezelUnidirectional ratcheted rotating bezel
CrownScrew-locked, two gaskets
CrystalCambered sapphire, glareproofed both sides

DIMENSIONS

Diameter46.00 mm
Thickness15.00 mm
Weight (without strap)114.21 gr.

Great decision. Congrats and thanks for the pix!

Absolutely thrilled for you brother . That watch is beautiful, thanks for sharing the experience !!

Congratulations. The super ocean is a great looking watch. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:outstand: I love the one you finally decided on, & Thanx for sharing the buying experience.

Congratz!:hand:

Thanks for sharing the experience with us, a great day at the boutique and leaving with a great piece.

A Big Congrats and Enjoy every minute with it! :dance:

Congrats my friend. I hope to be like you one day. Enjoy that super purchase. You made the best choice.

big congrats...i need to smoke a cigarette

As I scream threw out the house, hey one of the Witts just got a Breitling!. What about meee I said. Silence then sadness. The only one that heard my plea was the Dog!. Guess I will just dream brother. Love your choice!

What an awesome story! When looking at the three you narrowed down, I picked the one you ended up picking. What a gorgeous watch. And all the other swag? Oh man, so cool! Huge congratulations!

What a great experience! Good things come to those who wait :wink:
Thanks for sharing the moment and love the choice you made. Congrats!

Gavin, could you include some pics next time you go to the Boutique? I'm having a hard time visualizing. :lolcry::lolcry::lolcry:

Seriously, this was an awesome post. Maybe the best I've ever seen.

Congrats. Couldn't happen to a better guy. You've got an awesome wife there.

I woulda taken the champagne though....but that's just me.

Thanks for a world class thread on a world class timepiece!

Happy New Year!

Congrats and thank you for allowing me to follow your purchase from start to finish great choice, from where I live pictures will be as close as I get to one of these stores.

Sent from Third World Northeast Arizona REZ WIFI

What a perfect way to close out the year. Beautiful timepiece my friend.

Enjoy that Beauty Gavin. She is gorgeous. Happy New Year!

Now THAT, Sir, is how to acquire a true grail! Thank you for sharing the event with the rest of us.

What a stunningly gorgeous timepiece!!!

Thanks for sharing your whole experience. It must be such a thrill. Congrats and enjoy this Breitling forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom