Choosing a new watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave D.

Tyme Watcher
Hey there, i’m Currently looking for a new watch and wanted some input. I want a watch with the vintage look of the Rolex MilSub ref 5517. The three watches I’m down to are the Steinhart OVM black dial(407USD), Squale ref 1545 Militaire(479usd) and the Ginault ocean rover GSLN(1299usd). I like the look of these three and they all get great reviews. I do own a Steinhart and it’s been a fantastic watch so far but haven’t seen or handled the other two. Price not a overpowering factor what are your thoughts on these three and which would you choose for an everyday go to watch. I’ve looked at and read about several others similar to these but these are the three that make my final cut. Thanks!

Okay Dave D. I did a little research and visited other sites that did comparisons on the formentioned Timepieces you mentioned. In terms of size to the Rolex the Armies A9 was the TIMEpiece of choice. The issue was the bezel being hard to turn. Some found relief with some oil and working in the bezel,not to mention it maybe to thick top to bottom. Some didn't like the plain design of the Squale but found its thickness to be closer to the Rollie, yet its larger in size as to is the Steinhart but its closer in look to the Milsub 5517. Then there were issues with strap or bracelet depending on size of wrist. In closing the Armida A9 is the closest in look but thickest in case and the Steinhart OVM due to size is second. Good luck with your choice. Wishing you all that's good!

I looked at the same 3 watches when I was searching for a MilSub homage.
May I offer a few pictures to push you off the fence?

ARMIDA A9

enter CHRISTMAS before 12/24 get 15% off $549- so save around $75

armida rumored sister co to helson...not many complaints on this chinese boutique...i would pass on the other boutiques...nothing very wrong with steinny or sharkie...

I truly think the Steinhart has the best homage look and as it will going on a NATO strap it would look very much like an original milsub ref 5517.

That Steinhart is very nice. Those are great pics! Thanks for sharing.

That’s a tough call. I have no good info to share but you will get great input here. Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you:)

I truly think the Steinhart has the best homage look and as it will going on a NATO strap it would look very much like an original milsub ref 5517.

true...a faithful homage... u seem like u been around the horo block many times...so steinny is self proclaimed " value to performance ratio "

-and teutonic work ethic is infused in the product i think with chinese full swing catalog parts...except maybe a swiss engine... and if you have plenty watches...the up to 1 week confirm on order...with shipping 2-4 weeks...u could do standing on your head... they look-run-re-sell ...all good...

-not much argument WIT...GOOD LUCK...again we welcome another guy who has the passion and the knowledge...and the PP to back it up-

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to order the Steinhart OVM 39mm from Gnomon. Its got the look I want and stays true to the original watch size. Will be putting it on an Alpha Shark black NATO strap. Once I have it in hand I'll attempt to post pictures. I say attempt because i cant even figure out how to add a profile picture. Oh well. Good day everyone.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've decided to order the Steinhart OVM 39mm from Gnomon. Its got the look I want and stays true to the original watch size. Will be putting it on an Alpha Shark black NATO strap. Once I have it in hand I'll attempt to post pictures. I say attempt because i cant even figure out how to add a profile picture. Oh well. Good day everyone.

39mm is the new fitty...GNOMON ...anders tan good dude gives swag...gets here fast from singapore cross int. date line back wards gains 1 day...steinny top homage value to performance ratio...

i remember how hot in the watch box i was over that horological provenance...yadayadayada traded it to stewie a vault virgin

So update, I placed an order for the 39mm Steinhart OVM limited run and received an email order conformation that day but nothing else. After several emails I was informed the item wasn't available at this time. I then went to my second choice. I went to the Squale web site and saw the price of the 1545 Militiare had gone from 479.00 to 579.00. I sent an email asking about the price and received an instant reply with a check out code dropping the price to 479.00. I ordered that day and as of yesterday the watch was in transit and should arrive this week. Once again I will keep you UTD and post pics. Thanks

Well this has been an adventure. After all the above I received the watch ordered direct from Squale which goes through Island watch the U.S. distributor. When I opened it I was surprised that it looked smaller and different from the Squale 1545 Militaire I'd seen online. Well the reason for that is because the 1545 for sale on the Squale website is a 1545 Originale. slightly different dial, still 40mm and a patina look on the hands, second hand, indices and pip. I removed the metal strap straight away and put it on a BluShark Alpha Shark black 20mm NATO strap and it looks fantastic. For the price I'll be keeping it. Wears great, looks really good and I've had several people ask if its a vintage Rolex so that's cool that it garners some attention. Trying to figureout how to add pictures but I can't get it to work. I'll keep trying. On another note I was shopping Jomashop last weekend and came across an Oris Divers Sixty-Five 42mm on a tropic strap. They are having a Valentines Day sale and the watch was listed at 1195.00. It's around 1900.00 almost everywhere else so I jumped on it and it should arrive this week. Wow, my wife's gonna kill me...

Well this has been an adventure. After all the above I received the watch ordered direct from Squale which goes through Island watch the U.S. distributor. When I opened it I was surprised that it looked smaller and different from the Squale 1545 Militaire I'd seen online. Well the reason for that is because the 1545 for sale on the Squale website is a 1545 Originale. slightly different dial, still 40mm and a patina look on the hands, second hand, indices and pip. I removed the metal strap straight away and put it on a BluShark Alpha Shark black 20mm NATO strap and it looks fantastic. For the price I'll be keeping it. Wears great, looks really good and I've had several people ask if its a vintage Rolex so that's cool that it garners some attention. Trying to figureout how to add pictures but I can't get it to work. I'll keep trying. On another note I was shopping Jomashop last weekend and came across an Oris Divers Sixty-Five 42mm on a tropic strap. They are having a Valentines Day sale and the watch was listed at 1195.00. It's around 1900.00 almost everywhere else so I jumped on it and it should arrive this week. Wow, my wife's gonna kill me...
Congrats. Here's info on how to post pics

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?18586-Posting-pics-from-computer-or-web

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.php?2246-Tapatalk-for-posting-photos

-hey good luck DOUBLE D...like the rest of us...1 step ahead of divorce court...watch addicts LOL

Sorry that the TIMEpiece wasn't as advertised but thankfully you turned lemon into lemonade. Congrats and enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom