PDA

View Full Version : Ryan standing on a dive box.

pacerguy
01-24-2016, 09:45 AM
Just now, Ryan demonstrated the ruggedness of a dive box, buy quietly standing on it. Very nice.

Anybody here remember Shawn Wisie's kicking, bumbling on purpose, and dropping, and drop-kicking the case all over the shopnbc studio. It was a riot. THAT WAS ENTERTAINMENT!

hkshooter
01-24-2016, 10:01 AM
All before my time. I wonder what happened to the entertainment aspect? About all we get now are camo pants dances and underwear drawings.
Supposed to be more about the watches and less about theatrics anyway.

chronos
01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
"pants dances"?...wth? Like in Herbie Hancock's video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHhD4PD75zY

curiousgeorge
01-24-2016, 10:42 AM
All before my time. I wonder what happened to the entertainment aspect? About all we get now are camo pants dances and underwear drawings.
Supposed to be more about the watches and less about theatrics anyway.

Yeah but their sales numbers were provably way higher during those more theatrical(entertaining) days. Sales numbers of watches have dropped considerably each year since Skelton and that group were having a little fun. They used to put out a TTV and would sell as many as 10,000 pieces with ease. Was generally more buzz around the forums and talk about them. It's all coincidental of course, but numbers don't usually lie, and why a lot of the hosts have entertainment or theatrical backgrounds. People are more likely to be in a buying mood if they somehow connect with a sales person. Bad sales people obviously leads to lesser sales. Otherwise they would be just as well off with no sound and graphics and save money on humans. Obviously must not work, because it's never done. Can't say I wouldn't watch a little longer if Heather Hall was on over Kendy, which in turn with more time watched may spark an interest in a product over hitting the channel changer as fast as possible. Put me in a good mood and I'm more likely to look, then when I want to take an ice-pick to my ears and eyes.

daycoo2
01-24-2016, 10:46 AM
I remember that. It was fun to watch. He could really put on a show when he wanted to.(lol)

Just now, Ryan demonstrated the ruggedness of a dive box, buy quietly standing on it. Very nice.

Anybody here remember Shawn Wisie's kicking, bumbling on purpose, and dropping, and drop-kicking the case all over the shopnbc studio. It was a riot. THAT WAS ENTERTAINMENT!

roadwarrior
01-24-2016, 11:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sBf9jGHTNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAMTYT17Cjw

pacerguy
01-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Ha! Mike...how do you think oficina del tempo got into a diver?
These were way before my time a a viewer...i started in 2007.

roadwarrior
01-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Ha! Mike...how do you think oficina del tempo got into a diver?
These were way before my time a a viewer...i started in 2007.

Can't say for sure ,but would guess manufactured in the same factory and was a mix up that never was caught even after it was discovered,eyE think Shop NBC aired the same watch again in another show also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcqefbn3e2Q

timetraveler
01-24-2016, 01:38 PM
I find myself checking the LC channel to see if Shawn's on. If he is, I always stop and watch a while, regardless of what he's selling. Boy, I do miss him selling watches. A straighter shooter (or so I'm convinced) there never was.

hkshooter
01-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Who is that guy?
Funny, he was completely flabbergasted. Did they actually sell that watch or do you think they returned it to the factory? It would be interesting to see that one in the market.

timetraveler
01-24-2016, 01:51 PM
Who is that guy?
Funny, he was completely flabbergasted. Did they actually sell that watch or do you think they returned it to the factory? It would be interesting to see that one in the market.

That, my friend, is Mr. Shawn Wilsie.

buzzmartian
01-24-2016, 01:56 PM
Mike, that's really some good stuff! Thanks for this. I must be getting old. :no:

pacerguy
01-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Who is that guy?

Shawn Wilsie was shopnbc tv watch (and other stuff) host for many years, a super individual, and one of nicest and smartest guys you ever saw present on TV. He was an honest presenter, and had aura of not hurting a fly. He bantered with co-hosts, still keeping the show moving. He usually had his own scale and calipers to review watch specs. He knew his stuff.
He was gone without fanfare. He worked the midnight shift est, when many watch shows ran. I stayed up to catch him. Someone here likely knows how to post his farewell show. It was quite moving.

roadwarrior
01-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Shawn Wilsie was shopnbc tv watch (and other stuff) host for many years, a super individual, and one of nicest and smartest guys you ever saw present on TV. He was an honest presenter, and had aura of not hurting a fly. He bantered with co-hosts, still keeping the show moving. He usually had his own scale and calipers to review watch specs. He knew his stuff.
He was gone without fanfare. He worked the midnight shift est, when many watch shows ran. I stayed up to catch him. Someone here likely knows how to post his farewell show. It was quite moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek9xF5cWcws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nf5M8YHn4g

hkshooter
01-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a good guy, wish they'd bring him back.

bignoize
01-24-2016, 03:42 PM
old school.... wilsie I miss ya buddy hows the cat

curiousgeorge
01-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a good guy, wish they'd bring him back.

He was pretty cool. Was at the network in it's inception back as a UHF channel in Minnesota back in the 90's. Not my proudest moment but my brothers and I would come home from a night of drinking back then and call them live and prank them on Saturday nights before they could redial or check who called. My brother got Shawn really good one night when he was presenting a Invicta or Croton Rolex homage and Shawn took it like a man, I about collapsed from laughing and I made my brothers quit after that because it was my house and I got paranoid.

ljf29
01-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Poor Shawn....he seemed so perplexed with the movement. I only saw a handful of his shows but I liked him a lot. Down to earth, genuinely nice and not over-the-top in the slightest. No overselling or overhyping, just information. Miss seeing him. I hope he knows how universally liked he was during his time on Shop.

theTIME
01-24-2016, 09:06 PM
I to miss Shawn, an excellent and very knowledgeable host. I also miss Katrina Forte' another host that wasn't over the top with theatrics.

pacerguy
01-24-2016, 09:16 PM
Absolutely!

ddavidsonmd
01-24-2016, 09:19 PM
I do remember one show which both Jim and Shawn presented. It was a riot. I don't watch anymore. Just buy on the web. The hosts add no value IMO

nikto
01-24-2016, 11:38 PM
My experience is limited to the last 10 years when the channel became available to us. For it to be entertaining to me the brand hosts and show hosts must be intelligent, have a good sense of humor and know watches(not that important for the show hosts). These things are lacking most of the time now. The humor is forced and the things they go on about are not really funny but they are trying. My top 5 watch shows for entertainment value were...

#5 Justin Zimmer with, I believe it was Stuhrling Original

I believe this was his first job as brand host, before then he used to work, behind the scenes, for Shop on watch shows for I think he said ten years. His demeanor on the shows was so low key he was practically comatose, which was hilarious in itself. It didn't matter who the show host was working with him. He was likely to say anything and more often than not it took the host a few seconds to catch up and start laughing. He has not been the same with Invicta because it is clear that they told him to up the energy, some of his good sense of humor still comes out on occasion.

#4 Shawn Wilsie

Shawn was interesting and funny, the humor was more likely to happen working with a brand host. He often worked by himself and was likely to start talking about anything, it was like a watch show Paul Harvey and the rest of the story. The late night shows were always the best because they all, including Shawn, took the attitude that nobody was watching and the higher ups didn't care, at least not until the next day when he would often talk about the admonishing emails received. He wasn't the same at the end when he and Ryan became obsessed with their guessing the watch weight competitions, it even dominated their on air conversations.

#3 Allison Wagner and Michael Davis

Say what you want about Michael Davis but he was good at his job and probably many didn't come to appreciate how good he was until after he left. To this day you still see Ryan copy many things that Michael used to do including the other night when he did the 'mesmerized by the dial' bit, which I didn't particularly care for when Michael did it. The humor from Allison could go from very funny to very forced but Michael always seemed to have the right response to make it legitimately funny and some of the shows they did together were very funny. I would love to know how many times Allison punched Michael. I'm not sure why Allison no longer does nearly as many watch shows but I have my suspicions.

#2 Jim Skelton and Michael Davis

This was one pair that had all the elements that made a watch show entertaining and that, I believe, they were also friends off the set didn't hurt. This was a pair that also talked about and made fun of the admonishing emails from the higher ups which because of how much they carried on was almost a daily event. This pair probably sold me more watches than anybody because they were collectors and only a collector would point out a detail of a watch that non-collectors would miss. Now days almost all the time I have to discover those details on my own.

#1 Tim Temple and Michael Davis

Tim Temple's sense of humor really shined with Michael Davis, you only get minor glimpses of it now. I believe they also were friends off the set and you could tell, the way they would go back and forth with the jokes you can only get from knowing somebody well. They also talked often about admonishing emails from higher ups which also was practically a daily event because you could say they had to much fun working together. The best shows were when they were on an event and doing the overnight shows, sometimes covering for one another while one bought a watch during the show. It was sad when they split them up partly, I believe, to spread out the watch knowledge but it wouldn't surprise me if they were also split up because they were having to much fun.