Cutting and trimming leather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kramer5150

Tyme Teller
Does anyone have any tips for cutting and trimming leather? I want to do a "corner cut" on a 24mm strap... notch the ends down by 1mm so it fits snugly into a 22mm strap lug. I have a dremel, basic hand tools and a bench vise. I just need a hammer punch like this, and use a corner at a time... right?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0146MD7G...8797f2e0f047&ie=UTF8&qid=1512921540&sr=2&th=1

[EDIT]... oops if this belongs in the DIY-mod section, can someone please move it? thanks

I’ve done this a ton of times. A basic pointed tip Xacto and steady hand is best. I had a do-it-yourself thread when I did it on an Invicta Subaqua scuba a few times but I think we lost it in the great purge a year or two ago. Instead of shaving the leather just get your measurements correct and just press the tip in to get it started and go straight down, like cutting vegetable. One cut is your best bet. If it’s a little bit tight you will be able to get it in the lugs and move it back-and-forth. Super easy. Make sure you have a fresh blade. I guess even a razor blade would work but the thinner the blade the better

I have to do the same thing. I have a small metal ruler I will use to stay straight, I figure metal is good because I can run the blade right against it.

I just had to do this to a new strap so that it would fit on a deployant buckle and if I could add one thing to the conversation that I tried with good success is that once the cuts are made, I used and extremely sharp knife and a cutting board, is to burn the ends and then seal them with superglue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom