Ballast Trafalgar Just In.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigz

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
Well I asked for some input on the Ballast Trafalgar and I greatly appreciate all of your input. I decided to pull the trigger and it arrived yesterday. I grabbed the black and rose combo. My initial impressions are this:

1. Presentation is above average in a very nice wooden display box
2. Overall fit and finish is very good. All of the machining is crisp dial details are as well. The coatings are all even and consistent and the strap is very nice and compliments the watch perfectly IMHO. The custom submarine logo buckle is a great touch.
3.Now for the real driving force to grab this watch is the unique bezel driven setting system. It is where you unscrew the canteen crown to reveal a pusher that has 2 positions, 1 for setting the date and one for setting the time. When the pusher is in position you rotate the bezel to set the time, set the date and when the pusher is closed, rotating the bezel winds the watch. It all works as advertised. Although the bezel is a little stiff to rotate so when rotating to wind or set can get a little tough on the fingers. I would assume that the stiffness comes from seals that would be necessary to maintain the 100m W.R. Also, there was some question weather this movement was still automatic as well as manual wind and I can answer, yes, that the rotor still does its original job.
4. Lume is pretty lack luster. My pic looks cool but it is very short lived. I'm sure it is affected by being diluted with the pigment to achieve the color they chose for the markers, logo and hands.

So, I am pretty impressed with this watch. It falls a little short in a couple places and really lives up to expectations in others. Price definitely plays a role in expectations as well and if I had payed their retail of $500, it would not be a bargain. But at just under $300, I would recommend to anyone looking to add a watch to the stable with a unique feature not found in any but maybe one multi thousand dollar watch in a really appealing design.

Here are some pics. Thanks for looking.

:outstand:A big congratulations!:up::applaud:

Congrats Mark! Very cool and unique.
I like it! :up:

This is especially awesome if you love an extended date windowlove how all the colors blend perfectly with the strap. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a very cool looking watch.
Can't wait for mine to come in.
Mark, you said: " It falls a little short in a couple places and really lives up to expectations in others."
If it falls short it doesn't show in those pictures
View attachment 11656
What falls short
View attachment 11655

Is it keeping good time so far View attachment 11657

Lots of good times your way...

Great looking watch. I went with the antique rose gold version after agonizing mightily over the many color choices. It has become one of my favorites!
Great review too, I can echo each one of your pionts.

Great honest assessment. FANTASTIC pics. I really really like that piece. It's a 46mm, right? How does it play on the wrist...larger, smaller or right on....for it's size?

Ace,

After wearing 24/7 for a day, I am even more loving this watch. I need to amend the report on the lume. While it is not as intense, it's duration is excellent. With out any artificial priming it lasted all night. I got up at 5 am and with no ambient light it was very legible.

The only detail that I wish was better is the bezel. For winding it is a bit stiff and I could use it to be a bit more tactile. It gets a bit tough on the fingers.

And it is keeping perfect time.

You are going to love yours. Let me know what you think when you get yours.
Thats a very cool looking watch.
Can't wait for mine to come in.
Mark, you said: " It falls a little short in a couple places and really lives up to expectations in others."
If it falls short it doesn't show in those pictures
View attachment 11656
What falls short
View attachment 11655

Is it keeping good time so far View attachment 11657

Lots of good times your way...

Great honest assessment. FANTASTIC pics. I really really like that piece. It's a 46mm, right? How does it play on the wrist...larger, smaller or right on....for it's size?

Brad,

It is a 46mm case and it fits right on that. It really hits a sweet spot for me. I love, buy, own and wear lots of bigger pieces but 46mm really is my pefrect size for the most wearable and comfortable pieces.

Here are a couple more pics. Got some nice sun today.

That is one great looking piece, Mark. Congrats, and thanks for the killer pics!

Terrific-looking timepiece, Mark! Glad to know that the unique setting/winding system works as well!

Big Congrats, Sir!!!
:applaud:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom