Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT LE SBGJ227 Watch Brings The Popular Green Dial GMT Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-seiko-hi-beat-36000-gmt-limited-edition-sbgj227-watch-green-dial/

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-SBGJ227-Limited-Edition-3.jpg

The Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36,000 GMT watches from a few years ago were a hit, and particularly the limited edition SBGJ005 with a green dial and orange GMT hand. The winning style and popularity of that particular model were too strong for Grand Seiko to ignore, so it's back with the same colors for the same underlying watch model, but with a different treatment and texture for the dial. The Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT Limited Edition SBGJ227 for 2017 features a radial pattern that kind of looks like a wicker weave, but that the brand says is meant to reference a peacock's tail. Perhaps most notably, however, is that it is slightly more accessible than its predecessor in terms of both price and availability.

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-SBGJ227-Limited-Edition-2.jpg

No caseback images available for now, but we can expect the view of the movement through a sapphire crystal window to be similar if not the same as the SBGJ005 from 2014. As a way to further distinguish the model's limited-edition nature, apart from being more colorful than its black and white dialed siblings, the SBGJ005 had an unusual titanium rotor with an "anodic oxidized finish" that kind of looks like tarnished brass. Subsequent limited edition versions, such as the Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT SBGJ021, also had an interesting treatment for the skeletonized rotor.

https://www.deployant.com/new-release-grand-seiko-hi-beat-36000-gmt/

GS-hibeat-gmt-crownup.jpg

The Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 Limited Edition: SBGJ227

The dial in the latest GS captures the beauty of the peacock’s plumage. Deep green, and stamped with the pattern of the feather, the dial is striking yet subtle.

The hi-beat GMT movement 9S86 is assembled in the Shizukuishi Watch Studio in Morioka where all Grand Seiko mechanical watches are manufactured and assembled. The Spring Drive and Quartz Grand Seikos are manufactured in Shiojiri.

All Grand Seikos are assembled and finished by hand, by the studio’s craftsmen and women. In both performance and appearance, it expresses the very best of Seiko’s mechanical watchmaking. The caliber has a high accuracy of +5 to -3 seconds a day and a power reserve of 55 hours. The GMT hand can be used as a dual time indicator with the hour hand being adjustable independently as the time of day hands continue to mark time.

gs-8s86.jpg

Caliber 9S86
Driving system: Automatic
Vibrations: 36,000 vibrations per hour (10 beats per second)
Accuracy: +5 to -3 seconds per day (when static)
Power reserve: 55 hours
GMT hand
Number of jewels: 37
Specifications
Stainless steel case and bracelet with three-fold clasp with push button release
High definition dual-curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating
Screw see-through case back
Water resistance: 10 bar. Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m
Diameter: 40.0mm, Thickness: 14.4mm
Approximate recommended retail price in Europe: 7,700 Euro .... Retail price in the US is $6,500
Limited edition of 700 pcs

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/grand-seiko-hi-beat-36000-gmt-limited-edition-sbgj021-watch/

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-Limited-Edition-SBGJ021-3.jpg

It's been a couple years since Seiko released its Grand Seiko Hi-Beat 36000 GMT watches that were received enthusiastically. Then, black- and white-dialed models were accompanied by a limited edition with a striking green dial and orange accents. Now, Seiko is similarly releasing updated black and white models alongside a limited edition with a rich, earthy brown dial - and we know that Grand Seiko does dials oh so well. The theme and inspiration for this particular model are again taken from nature, as we have seen in some other Grand Seiko limited editions, and specifically Mt. Iwate, a prominent feature of the region where the watches are produced.

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-Limited-Edition-SBGJ021-2.jpg

Grand Seiko's mechanical 9S watches are assembled, tested, and inspected at the Shizuku-Ishi Watch Studio in the city of Morioka, located in the snowy northeastern prefecture of Iwate. We are told that from the watchmakers' benches, a view of Mt. Iwate is visible through the studio's wide windows and that the colors of the dial and the rotor of this limited edition are inspired by the colors of the mountain at sunrise. This becomes a little more poetic when looking at the colors chosen because they are not what you may first expect to be the colors of a vibrant sunrise, but more of a dark crepuscule.

Mt-Iwate-Morioka.jpg

https://monochrome-watches.com/grand-seiko-hi-beat-36000-gmt-sbgj021-sbgj017-sbgj019-price/

https://www.seikowatches.com/press_release/2016/RLS1609_01/index.html

The deep red dial also evokes Mt. Iwate at dawn

The dial has a delicate and beautiful radial pattern that is inspired by the many ridged contours of Mt. Iwate. This special pattern is unique to Grand Seiko. The dial color echoes the deep red that is seen on clear mornings as the sun lights up Mt. Iwate.

I need a Grand Seiko in the rotation. Seiko never ceases to please - from the sub-$100 daily wearers to the true high end collectors pieces. Thanks, Mike.

very special. not normally a Seiko guy. (I do have one) but these ring all the bells, except for size and price.

I often see people posting something along the line of "that much for a Seiko".

to me the Grand Seiko is a competitor with all of the luxury brands and is hard to top.

If I had been into watches back in 1985-1987 I would have gone by the shop in Morioka...I was only two hours north of that in Misawa, on the very northern coast. Went to Morioka several times but alas.....probly wouldn't have gotten in but still.

​Some truly marvelous offerings, from Seiko. Thanks Mike.

Still prefer the snowflake, although both colors are very nice.

36,000 BPH "AND" a Super sexy see thru backside :wow: Good Lawd I need me one o' dem!!!

Grand-Seiko-Hi-Beat-36000-GMT-Limited-Edition-SBGJ021-3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom