Cheaper to live on a cruise ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
:dunno:It's probably cheaper to live on a cruise ship as a retiree instead of in a nursing home. https://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/26/ahoy-matey-more-folks-retiring-on-a-cruise-ship.html

http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2013-2-2-cruise-ship-retirement-assisted-living/

True Costs and Benefits

Since 2004, costs for cruises and for assisted living have been going up, but comparing average cruise costs to $9,000 a month assisted living fees is misleading and inaccurate.

According to A Place for Mom’s 2012 Cost of Care Survey, the actual average monthly cost of assisted living ranges from $2,500 to $4,600. There’s considerable variation, too, depending on where seniors live and what amenities they need.

If your loved one wants a large two-bedroom apartment, for instance, it’s going to cost more, but there are always lower-cost options such as a studio or shared living space. And remember that the cost of living varies widely depending on where in the U.S. you’re located. If you’re willing to look outside of an expensive city or if you live in a state where day-to-day costs aren’t as high, the average monthly assisted living cost is going to be lower, too.

Meanwhile, in 2001, Muller’s costs for staying on the QE2 were reportedly about $5,000 per month for a 10×10 windowless cabin. And presumably it’s a bit tricky to get insurance to cover a cruise. As for the Towne Place Suites in Falls Church, VA, though you get free wi-fi for your trouble, the cost is now about $148 a night with a senior discount: almost $4,500 per month. Although other hotels are considerably less expensive — depending, of course, on location — there’s still the fact that most meals aren’t included and you’d be without 24-hour trained senior living personnel.

12 Reasons You Shouldn’t Retire on a Cruise Ship

https://money.usnews.com/money/blog...-reasons-you-shouldnt-retire-on-a-cruise-ship

I hope my wife doesn't see this!......:lol:

I hope my wife doesn't see this!......:lol:

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

well...just shows the problem... aging boomers is like frog through python...many problems to come some known knowns...many unknown knowns... unknown unknowns

You know what's horrible? On a cruise ship, you expect to get amenities. Great food, entertainment.

$4K in a nursing or "assisted living facility doesn't secure you that. In Boston, it definitely is $4k and that's for the apartments and someone comes and checks on you. I'm pretty sure the "nursing home" section where they offer skilled nursing care (?) is higher.

You know what's horrible? On a cruise ship, you expect to get amenities. Great food, entertainment.

$4K in a nursing or "assisted living facility doesn't secure you that. In Boston, it definitely is $4k and that's for the apartments and someone comes and checks on you. I'm pretty sure the "nursing home" section where they offer skilled nursing care (?) is higher.

-big problem...and it is here... " living " on a cruise ship sounds like a sentence IMHO...socialized safety nets for the wealthy...naked capitalism for the workers-

My mother-in-law was spending $3500.00 per month in Lodi including meals. Was an
assisted living facility.
There are many variables, yes and depending on care levels. Prices go up exponentially
as JQ said. Don't think I'm a cruise ship kind of person and have never been on a cruise.

my stomach is already heaving. not for me thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom