PDA

View Full Version : loose screws on Borealis Sea Dragon shroud...

nicholas1988
08-09-2015, 01:17 PM
I have worn mine 3 times to work and went to pick it up yesterday and could feel the shroud was loose. I have not had time to check it all out but I now see on other sites other postings about the same thing. Hopefully blue loctite and some TLC take care of the issue.

WatchSteve
08-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up! After reading your post I checked both mine and all is good and secure.[br][br]If they are found worked loose a little dab of loctite would probably be a good idea.

nicholas1988
08-09-2015, 02:08 PM
I just took the shroud off the case and did an exam. A few things to note...the screws are not a very fine thread, IMO short screws in this application should be a finer thread, also the space between the shroud and the case was full of oil, this makes it easier for screws to loosen.

watchaddict
08-09-2015, 02:55 PM
I have not had an issue as of yet. Thank you for the heads up though.

roq1067
08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
thx 4 BOREALIS SEA DRAGON BEZEL SHORT SCREW FUGAZY HU RB...loose screws in shrouded bezel...SAY IT AINT SO JO-[br][br][br]OIL FILLED SHROUDED BEZEL...sounds high end so that part is good...LOOSE SHORT SCREWS WITH NO FINE THREADS...sounds like a fine point for correction in GEN II BSD shrouded bezel tuna homage...[br][br][br]POST ABOUT THE LOCTITE FINAL SOLUTION PLEASE...want that up the ScottyB sleeve to avoid an incident of HOROLOGICAL HYSTERIA ( etymology-of the uterus)

nicholas1988
08-09-2015, 03:09 PM
And just to keep beating this to death.....[br][br]the first screw that is tightened is possibly loosened by the following screw you tighten and so on. The factory likely screws them in without going back over the them to check this.[br][br][br]

roq1067
08-09-2015, 03:13 PM
And just to keep beating this to death.....[br][br]the first screw that is tightened is possibly loosened by the following screw you tighten and so on. The factory likely screws them in without going back over the them to check this.[br][br][br]so the pressure from tightening successive short screws....possibly alters the circumference of the inner ring ....thereby loosening the preceding screw.....[br][br][br]hhhmmmmmm.......kinda like buying the )st gen of an automobile...gotta find them bugs& gremlins...guess these engineering problems suk in a space capsule...

surferman
08-09-2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.[br][br]Yesterday when I was setting the time and had my thumb on the shroud at the 6:)) position, I noticed the shroud was a little loose. By putting pressure there, you could feel it move and you could actually hear a tinny metal sound (metal hitting metal). I guess I was too stupid to try tightening the screws and was planning to email Borealis. I just checked the screws and sure enough they were loose. I used a 2 mm allen wrench to snug them down and the shroud is now solid.[br][br]I'll keep an eye on it and if it loosens again, will add some blue loctite.

roadwarrior
08-09-2015, 04:22 PM
Any day you don't loose a screw is a good day,keep and eyE out for them buggers.

roq1067
08-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the heads-up.[br][br]Yesterday when I was setting the time and had my thumb on the shroud at the 6:)) position, I noticed the shroud was a little loose. By putting pressure there, you could feel it move and you could actually hear a tinny metal sound (metal hitting metal). I guess I was too stupid to try tightening the screws and was planning to email Borealis. I just checked the screws and sure enough they were loose. I used a 2 mm allen wrench to snug them down and the shroud is now solid.[br][br]I'll keep an eye on it and if it loosens again, will add some blue loctite. not 2 stoopid....2mm allen wrench...BLUE LOCTITE on the bench

deleddda
08-09-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up!

camanogreg
08-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Just got my Doxa Orange in mail so will now keep an eye on!!![br]Thank for da HU

roq1067
08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Just got my Doxa Orange in mail so will now keep an eye on!!![br]Thank for da HUDOXA ORANGE dial sure purty...but my daddy said you can't dance with all the girls at the party...translation...i wanted the gray & the orange but held at )[br][br]FOOTNOTE: the orange pantone was NOT SO DOXA PERFECT UNTIL MARIA SENT IT BACK TO THE HONG KONG FACTORY TO TWEAK-

camanogreg
08-10-2015, 04:17 PM
And just to keep beating this to death.....[br][br]the first screw that is tightened is possibly loosened by the following screw you tighten and so on. The factory likely screws them in without going back over the them to check this.[br][br][br]So do you tighten the two on the 9 side then snug up the 3rd screw?! Not sure I would tighten but screw just to point of resistance then snug up the 3rd screw?[br]May be someone knows. Now I've beaten the dead horse for sure. [br]

nicholas1988
08-10-2015, 05:29 PM
I used a small drop of medium loctite on each thread and will keep checking for looseness over the next 3 or so days...[br]This blue (medium) hold loctite drys firm but not stiff, screws can be removed later with some effort. It works very good on bracelet screws..[br]The BSD is a great budget tool watch IMO.

camanogreg
08-11-2015, 12:03 PM
I did just check my shroud screws and okay for now.[br]My Shumate lug drivers are 2mm!!!!

itsonlytime
08-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Just posted this morning on Borealis Forum that after a second wearing a new Sea Dragon customer noticed a loose shroud and a screw missing. Maria then responded that he should use Loctite on threads, which they didn't at factory so collectors could easily remove shroud, this is becoming a concerning issue for sure.

angel
08-18-2015, 02:42 PM
This is good info. Always good to know the good, bad and ugly of any issue about any brand. Us consumers gotta know this! LOL

deleddda
08-18-2015, 07:50 PM
I just got around to inspecting mine. I ended up tightening them up. I may get paranoid and get some loctite.

jgordonfresh
08-18-2015, 08:05 PM
I just got around to inspecting mine. I ended up tightening them up. I may get paranoid and get some loctite. I checked mine also seem to be ok, will keep an eye on. I remember PD your heads up on the Helberg ch 5 case back loose screws, seems like I am checking all my recent purchases so far so good.[br]

WatchSteve
08-18-2015, 08:23 PM
Mine were ok when I checked, but just to be on the safe side I put loctite on them.

patsbosoxfan
08-23-2015, 08:26 PM
The screws on both of mine are tight but thanks for the heads up