Seiko "Stargate" on Toshi - - Warning: Pic Overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timetraveler

Tyme Machine
Founding Member
I have two serious addictions when it comes to watch collecting - One long-term, and one newly acquired.
Now I do have several other "sub-addictions", but these two really drive me.

My long term sickness: Seiko Basic Divers

Seiko developed a leadership role in reliable and functional automatic divers with U.S. service men during the Vietnam War era and beyond. They proved to be tough and reliable, and were available inexpensively at military post stores. My Seiko auto diver collection includes models from 1970 vintage through contemporary models. IMO, Seiko dive watch design influence can be found in more contemporary dive watch brands than any other early maker, with the possible exception of the Rolex Submariner. And even there, one may detect hints of Seiko. The "Crown at the Four" was an Seiko dive watch innovation as their divers had grown to whopping 41/42 mm proportions. Certainly Citizen divers (another of my favorites) pay homage in design to their Japanese neighbor, Seiko.

The orange Velatura (bottom center) is quartz. The red bezel watch and the green dial piece are 1980s/1990s mods. The 6309-7040 (cushion case, center) and 6309-7290, (slimmed-down, upper right) are mid-1970s vintage. I have a few others somewhere that I couldn't quickly put hands on.
SBdW9L.jpg

My newly acquired interest: Custom/Boutique Straps

Over the last year or so I have learned how an interesting strap can change the overall impact of a timepiece. I'm really just getting my feet wet here, choosing to add one where I feel the OEM fastener is lacking, or common. This nuance has added a new dimension to the hobby for me and I feel an expansion of strap-fun coming on.

But now, on to the matter at hand...
The Seiko Superior SKZ323 "Stargate" Diver, on Toshi Almond Strap.
This watch is from the Seiko Superior collection. The collection is a step up from their entry-level models, which are exceptional values in themselves. While still non-hacking, and non-hand-winding, the 7S36 automatic movement features 23 jewels rather than the 21J of the venerable 7S26 workhorse. And although slight, I find the overall fit and finish here to be of higher refinement. Folks, This is one nice diver!

bsni5v.jpg

That small touch of red has large impact.
9irLA3.jpg

neEak8.jpg

Here's our first good look at the "Stargate" pip.
0MsMKQ.jpg

HjgkaM.jpg

Note the 7S36 Movement I.D on the layered dial.
0gd2HB.jpg

The Stargate case has influence of Seiko's Marine Master and Sumo designs.
na2Mpj.jpg

ZxfsF8.jpg

The Seiko iconic dive watch highly-embossed Tsunami logo is predominately displayed.

jCWFy7.jpg

The Stargate moniker is derived from the movie, and television show of the same name which featured this image...
th

8FDhdT.jpg

tXyydX.jpg

jUXiDi.jpg

The "Strap effect":
I have wanted this watch for a long time. When I saw it available from another collector, LNIB and with the Toshi for less than the average street price
on bracelet alone, I snapped it up! All Toshi Straps of London, England are hand-made to order. They are finely crafted of the finest leathers.
The comprehensive Toshi site is well-worth a visit if your at all curious about strap makers and their products.
Here's the link... toshi-straps.co.uk/
epVK4E.jpg

This "Almond" execution is 22mm (no taper) X 5mm with a brushed SS Pre-V buckle.
fKXchP.jpg

yWEQyO.jpg

The Stargate is clearly appropriate for dress, or casual wear.
ISjLBt.jpg

2RRL65.jpg

0k1HQ6.jpg

Included with the watch was Seiko's upgraded stainless steel diver bracelet and clasp.
RXFzNq.jpg

This one features solid end-links, a pushbutton divers clasp with safety lock, and, a wet-suit extension.
en9EYf.jpg

PD5H9h.jpg

Specifications:
The Seiko...
Seiko Stargate Diver watch SKZ323
Stainless Steel Case
Stainless Steel bracelet 22mm
Caliber:7S36
Automatic Movement
Day and Date display
Unidirectional rotating bezel

Crown : Screw down at 4 o'clock
Hardlex crystal Glass - Soft dome
White Dial

Hands and markers : Proprietary luminous
200M Water resistance
Case Diameter : 48mm with Crown
Case Thickness : 13mm

The Toshi...
Toshi Almond leather strap
Material : Very light golden yellow vegetable-tanned cow hide, very soft and pliable
Dimensions : 22mm X 5mm thick, non-tapering
Length : Mens regular
Style : Parallel sides with rounded tip and natural stitching
Construction/manufacture : Each strap individually completely cut, sewn and finished by hand
Buckle material : Stainless steel, brushed
Buckle style : Pre-V, spring bar

So there you have it... My new to me Seiko Superior SKZ323 "Stargate" Diver, on Toshi Almond Strap. It may not always be my favorite
Seiko Diver, but right now it is! If you're a fan of Seiko Dive watches, and don't have this one, I encourage you to check it out!

t27Vtg.jpg

And as always... Thanks for lookin', WiTs!!!

Seiko Stargate on Toshi - - Warning: Pic Overload!

You have an awesome Seiko collection and your great shots really capture the detail of them all thanks for taking the time to post, those strap changes really transform the look on those pieces adding another dimension to them.

[p][br][/p][p][br][/p][p][span][/span][span][/span][span][/span]Terrific watches Bill.[span][/span][span][/span] :)[/p]

[font face=comic sans MS size=4]Whoa! Nice Seiko Addiction Bill. With addicts like you I need to be a pusher. 8-)[/font]

Wow, just WOW is all I can say! First thanks for sharing your collection and[br]for the intro of your Seiko Stargate w/Toshi belt. Your pics alone give me[br]sweaty palms. Thanks a bunch Bill.

[font face=times new roman][font size=4][font color=)d)9e6]A big congratulations Bill! An awesome Seiko Diver indeed. A great addition to the collection, which is impressive to be sure. Great photos, and review. Looking good, 36) my friend. ENJOY, and wear it in good WIT health. :)[/font][/font][/font]

Interesting history and.........great looking Seiko!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Nice stuff. Thanks for the pics.

Wow Bill!! What a great acquisition!! Congratulations!! [br]Those pictures tell the story. Thanks for putting together such a great presentation!

As always, a spectacular presentation Bill. That is a great looking Seiko. I always have liked the brand and judging from your collection, you definitely are. Enjoy your new timepiece.
47b2)s).gif

[br]

[font size=3]Bill, you have a very nice collection of Seiko's my friend. Your Stargate on that strap makes for a whole new look and a great one at that.[br][br]I bought my first Seiko from the PX in Vietnam and have owned many since then. In fact that's all I wore for about 3) years. Then I got the virus... watch collecting, and I don't see any cure coming along anytime soon.[/font]

Awesome thread!![br][br]Awesome watches!![br][br]Awesome Stargate!!

[quote source=/post/)45487/thread timestamp=)423))4244 author=@realtymebandit][font face=comic sans MS size=4]Whoa! Nice Seiko Addiction Bill. With addicts like you I need to be a pusher. 8-)[/font][/quote][p][strong][br][/strong][/p][p][strong]Says one of the greatest pushers of our time...[/strong] (rofl) [br][/p]

STAR GATE SNO BALL ON TOSHI...awesome ...[br][br][br]you really stepped up your watch game TT

[quote source=/post/)45688/thread timestamp=)423))9583 author=@timetraveler][quote source=/post/)45487/thread timestamp=)423))4244 author=@realtymebandit][font face=comic sans MS size=4]Whoa! Nice Seiko Addiction Bill. With addicts like you I need to be a pusher. 8-)[/font][/quote][p][strong][br][/strong][/p][p][strong]Says one of the greatest pushers of our time...[/strong] (rofl) [br][/p][/quote][font face=comic sans ms size=5]Pssssst, Hey buddy, You need some Seikos'?[br][br][div style=text-align:center;]
Corbis-42-)9992838.jpg

I share your fondness of Seikos, Bill. The Stargate is killer, one I have been outbid on twice on ebay. Your pics remind me why I need to keep trying. [br]Congrats on that beauty, and thanks for the all-around great thread. [br]
giphy.gif

[quote author=@gman66 source=/post/)457)6/thread timestamp=)423)25)98]I share your fondness of Seikos, Bill. The Stargate is killer, one I have been outbid on twice on ebay. Your pics remind me why I need to keep trying. [br]Congrats on that beauty, and thanks for the all-around great thread. [br]
[img style= style=max-width:)))%; src=http://media.giphy.com/media/))Shl99Vghh5aU/giphy.gif][br][/quote][p][strong][br][/strong][/p][p][strong][br][/strong][/p][p][strong]Thank you, for the nice comments![/strong][br][/p]

[quote author=@surelyuknow source=/post/)45577/thread timestamp=)423))28)2][font size=3]Bill, you have a very nice collection of Seiko's my friend. Your Stargate on that strap makes for a whole new look and a great one at that.[br][br]I bought my first Seiko from the PX in Vietnam and have owned many since then. In fact that's all I wore for about 3) years. Then I got the virus... watch collecting, and I don't see any cure coming along anytime soon.[/font][/quote]Similar story for me, Joel. Got my )st Seiko in Quang Tri in Jan. '69. Went through 4 Seikos in )) months (due to the heat/humidity/dust/etc.), and have loved 'em ever since. Think I paid something like $2) for my )st one.[br]

[quote source=/post/)45733/thread timestamp=)423)2648) author=@gman66][quote source=/post/)45577/thread timestamp=)423))28)2 author=@surelyuknow][font size=3]Bill, you have a very nice collection of Seiko's my friend. Your Stargate on that strap makes for a whole new look and a great one at that.[br][br]I bought my first Seiko from the BX in Vietnam and have owned many since then. In fact that's all I wore for about 3) years. Then I got the virus... watch collecting, and I don't see any cure coming along anytime soon.[/font][/quote]Similar story for me, Joel. Got my )st Seiko in Quang Tri in Jan. '69. Went through 4 Seikos in )) months (due to the heat/humidity/dust/etc.), and have loved 'em ever since. Think I paid something like $2) for my )st one.[br][/quote][font size=3]Yep, I think I paid about $25 for my first Seiko at the Tan Son Thut BX. I got a fancy model that told the time in most of the major cities in the world. Being in the Air Force it was helpful. When I was in the Philippines I had a custom strap made for it. It was pretty wide and had 2 buckles . Very cool at the time. I'm pretty sure I still have both here someplace... I really need to search it out. That would be a 47 year old timepiece. Yeah, I should look for it.[/font]

Excellent review, Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom