Grand Octane...too grand...

2manywatches

Tyme Machine
In my last run of insanity with Invicta, I determined to buy one of their overly oversized watches, and have always been curious about the "Blue Label" moniker. There are so many "special" classes of watches with the "I" brand that it gets a bit dizzying at times...

So, I think I have definitely discovered how big is too big, haha.

This is the Grand Octane Coalition Forces Blue Label, and yes, the name is as big as the watch, lol!

Coming in at a ten course dinner plate (served all at once) serving size of 63mm, including the crown, and a generous 18mm thick, this watch is gargantuan, and does not wear smaller than it is.

It is listed as one of the largest Invicta makes, which is why I bought it. It seemed something a long time Invicta customer should own and it was purchased as more of a curiosity, really, and was available at a super sale price, so I couldn't pass it up.

It again arrived in one of these much less impressive cardboard box thingamajigs, which was not exciting, and I again wonder if this is Invicta's new packaging, although a purchase since then (my last one for a while, I swear!) did arrive in the older style Invicta box, so it's a bit hard to say, for sure.

6iSmlMC.jpg

Not that the box is unattractive, it's just much less of a presentation box than Invicta has always had, especially given the super cheap interior, and not even a pillow to hold the watch -- literally just a piece of folded cardboard, instead.

pbmg6UB.jpg

They are now occasionally including a sample of one of Invicta's "fragrances" and, hmmm, not my cup of smell. A cologne called "yellow" is not exactly inspiring anyway, is my thought. At least they didn't name it Yellow Snow.

My overall impression of the watch, beyond the behemoth impression, is, well, not that exceedingly great. It is not from the Reserve line, and it seems the "Blue Label" labeling just means it's blue....it did not seem to provide a more quality experience in the build, at least for me.

The blue, however, is stellar! I mean, it's a GREAT blue, no doubt, and a beautiful finish throughout every element of the watch, and, given that it's my favorite color, I'm very pleased with that aspect, and the gold elements are always complimentary to blue.

GOjiOub.jpg

In terms of specs, Invicta went with their so often utilized Ronda Z60, providing date, day, running seconds and a 30 minute chronograph. My only issue there is that the provided subdials are nearly impossible to read, since they are buried under that massive center tri-plate.

With something this substantial, one might think they'd use the girth for some kind of impressively high novelty WR rating, but this is just 200m, with a push pull crown. It does have the sturdy Flame Fusion crystal, so that's good, but, I don't know, it's difficult to even identity where it doesn't feel like a higher quality piece, but, to me, it just doesn't. For all of its magnitude, it feels kind of flimsy and rattly or something, I don't know. It seems more on par with some of the sub-hundred dollar 'Victers I've bought, rather than one slated with the more substantial MSRP, where even a "sale" price is often still around the $300 mark. Suffice to say, I'm glad I paid far less, since it at least doesn't feel like I paid too much, when all is said and done.

Let's take a look around the watch....

lXofaPm.jpg

kOtWH3A.jpg

Those high ridged pieces on the bezel make for easy use of the unidirectional feature for timing, but, with only a few markers on the bezel, that function is somewhat diminished. So, like the nearly unreadable subdials, there seems to not have been a lot of thinking about practical use here.

The back is nicely engraved, the clasp is well adorned, and, as mentioned, the blue IS superlative...

c2UlCNA.jpg

UKCnbnG.jpg

0MdsOra.jpg

In consideration of the occluded subdials, you can see, from a side glance, how challenging it is to read them, at all. It was a feat, in fact, to even be able to find an angle in which the subdials can be photographed. Being deeply seated under that dial piece, they are heavily shadowed at almost any viewing point.

DM03r0M.jpg

KGp9P8s.jpg

Granted, it seems this watch is all about size, and, from that standpoint, it impresses to an overwhelming degree. My gripe, however, is that mass should not supersede usability, and I have other large Invictas that remain highly legible.

In fact, probably my second largest Invicta, a Sea Base Diver, which specs at just 3mm less than this feller, uses the substantial dial real estate to excel in information clarity, opting for the Ronda 8040.N, packing in date, retrograde day, 10 hour chronograph and, in the size matters department, providing 1000m of WR, and doing so with a full titanium case and sapphire crystal.

Suffice to say, I wish they'd kept building on that Sea Base model line which seems to have all but disappeared (although I managed to snag several models when it first was introduced). It continues to be an odd frustration that some model lines are so good, while others are so mediocre, or are even far less than thrilling.

Lume is typical Invicta lack luster....

F0F8uvn.jpg

On the wrist?

Well, nothing short of humorous, I'd say....

QIPEoJx.jpg

MC6tbUy.jpg

But, also typical of Invicta's wizardry with huge watches, I'm happy to say it is comfortable to wear, doesn't slop around, and sits nicely on the wrist.

As you can probably deduce from this review, it wasn't a purchase that yielded victory laps around the house, but I do like it, for what it is, which is kind of a novelty Invicta buy, almost showcasing a rejection of the timeless bashing of the brand (not experienced here, ever, thanks to this great forum!) for being ridiculously oversized -- which certainly isn't the case, no pun intended, for the entire line up, of course, as I've so often pointed out, in vain, to those who loathe the existence of Invicta entirely (again, not an issue in this wonderful place, just expressing some leftover sentiments from other forum experiences).

For me, as someone who started with Invicta, and recently fell back in love with it, from merely a collector point of view I simply wanted to own this piece, considering it is one of their outer edge designs.

In fact, I'm still somewhat tempted to get one of those monstrous Bolt Zeus Magnum suckers, the one with the extra watch on it, again simply because...well, Invicta, lol.

But, for now, I'm considering my oversize appetite more than satiated. If anything, it's perhaps a case of having eaten too much, or my eyes being too big for the plate or however that saying goes.

I do love the blue though, and, from a hilarity, "yes, I am actually wearing this" perspective, it is seeing wrist time, but, at day's end, it likely will not be in regular rotation and is more of a shelf adornment.

Then again, if I hung it up, perhaps it could serve as a wall clock....

Thanks all for reading! A fun purchase, nonetheless!

:outstand:A "Big Un" for sure! :dance2:A big congratulations!:up::applaud:

As our Mui Grande Ambassadorialissimo, Dayman, alludes to above, Larry Megan, the once and former CEO of the Stuhrling Original brand, used to always introduce his larger watches with the phrase, "It's a BIG'un!" And this, TOO, is a BIG'UN! I was lucky enough to have a friend who bought one of these -- back when it was called the Arsenal; and to this day, I wonder if Eyal ran afoul of the soccer team of the same name -- and he allowed me to, as Billie Jean King might've said, "Strap her on! Take her for a test drive!" And quite a ride it was! And, much like you've done above with this excellent write-up, I never lost track of my sense of humor as I walked around with that stainless steel porthole cover on my wrist. In the end, I decided that 63mm really WAS hittin' it too far outta da park, and so opted not to pick one up. But I might've given it a more serious consideration if it had been this amazing shade of blue. Or not. I dunno. On the one hand, it looks BADA$$ED in that crazy shade, not to mention the contrasting dial color looking 'tres spiff.' And, seriously, who but Invicter could pull this one off? The aforementioned Stuhrling O? Uh-uh. Croton? Nope; not the Merm. Ed Hardy? MAYBE, but they ain't'round no more, so we have to continue to look elsewhere. Perhaps my old fave Ritmo Mundo -- or, if you're feeling very E'uropean,' "Ritmo Mvndo" -- might be a good bet; I actually HAVE one that's 60mm, but it's made from titanium, so the weight is good; that, and a fine saddle makes it a nice ride, though there just don't seem to be too many occasions I can wear it, truth to tell...

Anyhow, MY final thoughts FWIW: It's BIG. It's kinda cool. I likes me that blue(s)! If YOU like it, mon ami, then wear it in good health -- and enjoy the effing H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks out of it! Many thanks for a very enjoyable write-up + pix; I think people with a good sense 'o humor are the shizzle of the minizzle! And you're definitely one of THOSE... :wink: Congrats, my brotha!

I very much enjoyed reading you review & pics! I too like that color blue but that’s about it for me - way to big and the sub dials are just to difficult to read. Congratulations to you on your purchase - enjoy!

Back in my XXL watch phase I would typically reach for the grand Arsenal versus the Sea Hunter. I just felt it was a more aesthetically pleasing and more balanced design. Oddly enough the Sea Hunter is wider, thicker, and heavier but only sports a 26mm bracelet, while the lower profile and thinner, now octane, has a 28 mm bracelet.
But with all the feedback online about why Invicta would choose to use those rubber accents I'm really surprised with all the crap they come out with they didn't think about making an octane version where those squares were aluminum or Steel. No blueprints would have to be changed, you just need to change the material of those rubber baby buggy bumpers.
Full Metal Octane. Especially with friggin diamonds or MOP, abalone, etc.... seems like a no-brainer to me.

Great slide show. Bet you didn't have to use a magnifying lens. Like you said it's a big-un. You know now how many licks it takes to get the center of a tootsie pop and probably will not go there again. But at least now you know.

Nice review! I love the looks but the size would keep me away. I tried on a 60+mm the other day and it just sat way too high on my wrist. I have a tiny wrist usually the average Invicta I have to take between 4 or 5 links out depending on the size of the links so it fits. 62mm is huge, the width of soda can is about 65.5 give or take. LOL

Excellent write up...it is indeed a beast...55 is as big as I have and even though I don't have a large wrist, I still like to wear the bigger watches, but I don't think I could feel comfortable with 63...

Anyway...enjoy it even if only as a collectable.

Thanks all! Such an awesome crew here!

Yup, it's really the blue and the novelty factory that saved it from being a return. I'm kinda odd that way, in that I have tended to keep watches that don't thrill me. Idiocy, I know, especially when most places have such an easy return policy. I guess I keep my foible purchases to remind me of my lack of judgement, haha.

So, yes, more of a home decor item, although, when feeling Invictish, it likely will serve as an ideal choice for strapping on the old dinner plate.

Funny, my Invicta Nautilus is 62mm, with all the dramatic crown hardware it has, and yet it somehow doesn't seem as ridiculous as this one, even though, even case to case size, this one is only 1mm bigger.

Live and learn, and, indeed, this is one where the awe (of its size) and mystery (of my purchase choice) reached from the deepest inner mind to show me the outer limits.

Big watch craving, done.
url

8IbK9TK.gif

40d2323c-e61a-45d6-aa6b-7cd6e96ecd88

40d2323c-e61a-45d6-aa6b-7cd6e96ecd88

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom