roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
WATCH RELEASES
Oris Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 Watch Debut
SEP 05, 2019 — BY ARIEL ADAMS

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-bi...5-watch-debut/

Oris-Big-Crown-ProPilot-X-Calibre-115-08.jpg

Swiss Oris does something really different for 2019 with the brand new Oris Big Crown ProPilot X collection that includes the new exclusive Calibre 15 movement. The first part of this news piece will talk about the watch industry context within which a watch like this is born, and then I’ll proceed to discuss the watch itself. While this article does not include hands-on images of the ProPilot X (“PPX,” as I believe it will be called), I was able to personally check out the watch with Oris at Baselworld 2019.

The watch industry is finally coming off of its vintage watch re-issue kick — because consumers (and brand managers) have had enough. Vintage re-issue watches were popular for a number of reasons, but mainly because they were a safe bet and consumers seemed to favor them, for a while. Oris has been a company that, for the most part, was into modern timepieces, but really embraced the vintage watch re-issue trend with gusto — and it earned the brand a good degree of success with consumers. Eventually, mechanical watch brands started to realize that there really isn’t a future in just regurgitating the past. Plus, innovation and fresh designs are needed to keep customers interested.

Oris-Big-Crown-ProPilot-X-Calibre-115-05.jpg

The Calibre 115 is another of Oris’ exclusive movements that the brand doesn’t produce but that is designed by them and exclusively made for them. The manually wound movement has a “non-linear” power-reserve indicator (which just means that the power-reserve indicator hand moves at a different rate — your eye won’t notice it moving) and a total power reserve of a very long 240 hours. That is a total of 10 days. In addition to the large power-reserve hand, the dial also has the time and subsidiary seconds dial at 8 o’clock. Oris did not include the frequency of the Calibre 115 watch in its press release, for some reason, but I believe that, if it is like the rest of the Calibre 110 family, it operates at 3Hz.

Oris’ design team did a really nice job with the overall movement bridge skeletonization in order to make the Caliber 110 family into the 115. The overall composition mixes symmetrical elements with asymmetry that I feel nicely plays with the naturally eccentric layout of the dial indicators. In medical photography, the contrast between the elements is always high, but recall that most of the dial colors here are gray — with the brass and ruby tones from the movement being more subtle. In a lot of ways, this is a very “gray” watch, but I do like how, with ample lume and hand contrast, you can still read the time easily.

26593_Home_Slider_ProPilot_X_Calibre_115_1920x585px_v4_Q70.jpg

Calibre 115
Calibre 115 is a hand-wound movement operated through the watch’s single crown. When fully wound, the movement will deliver 10 days of power – most mechanical watches run for around two days. This exceptional, 240-hour power reserve is fuelled by a mainspring coiled in a single oversized barrel, visible at 12 o’clock. The power reserve is displayed through an Oris-developed and patented non-linear power reserve indicator at 3 o’clock that shows the power remaining with ever greater accuracy as the time to wind the watch approaches.

26502_Highlighted_Feature_Big_Crown_ProPilot_X_Cal_115_V02_980x790px.jpg

26973_0111577597153-Set72201TLC_gallery_1920x1080px_cus_02.jpg

26975_0111577597153-Set72201TLC_gallery_1920x1080px_lume_02.jpg

26498_03_Gallery_Big_Crown_ProPilot_X_Cal_115.jpg
26977_0111577597153-Set72201TLC_gallery_1920x1080px_ws_02.jpg
26496_02_Gallery_Big_Crown_ProPilot_X_Cal_115.jpg

REFERENCE 01 115 7759 7153-Set7 22 01TLC

CASE Oris Big Crown ProPilot X, 44.00 mm, 1.732 inches, Titanium
MATERIAL Multi-piece titanium case
SIZE 44.00 mm, 1.732 inches
TOP GLASS Sapphire, domed on both sides, double-sided anti-reflective coating
CASE BACK Titanium, screwed, see-through sapphire glass
OPERATING DEVICES Titanium screw-in security crown
WATER RESISTANCE 10 bar
INTERHORN WIDTH 22 mm

MOVEMENT Hand winding 10-day power reserve, skeleton developed by Oris
NUMBER Oris 115
DIMENSIONS Ø 34.00 mm, 15'''
FUNCTIONS Centre hands for hours and minutes, subsidiary second at 7:30 h, non-linear power reserve indication at 3 h, fine timing device and stop-second
WINDING Hand winding
POWER-RESERVE 240 hrs
VIBRATIONS 21’600 A/h, 3 Hz
JEWELS 38

DIAL Skeleton
MATERIAL Skeleton dial
LUMINOUS MATERIAL Indices and hands Superluminova BG W9

STRAP/BRACELET Titanium
MATERIAL Multi-piece Titanium metal bracelet, folding clasp

EXTRAS The Oris Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 is powered by a skeletonised, in-house developed calibre with a 10-day power reserve and an Oris-patented non-linear power reserve indicator that shows the power remaining with greater accuracy as the time to rewind the watch approaches. The watch comes with a special luxury wooden presentation box and a certificate.

A very cool offering, from Oris, for those folks who like the skeleton look in time pieces. :)Thanks Mike.:hat:

Oris makes spectacular watches. This skeletonized dial does nothing for me though. Back side is nice.

very cool, I'm hoping they'll have it at the worn and wound show in Oct to try on. At over $7k its a tough sell. Probably worth it but most associate Oris at $2500 and lower not up into Omega and Rolex territory. I like the industrial finishing. That huge barrel is pretty cool looking.

That is one very handsome timepiece to say the least... 10 day power reserve is unique and the longest time reserve I've heard of. The backside is as impressive as the front and the dial is easily readable as far as skeletons go. Oris has always been a favorite in my collection, I have 4... but at 7K I'm priced out of the market on this one... but if I could I definitely would, she's a beauty for sure! Oh yeah, and you gotta love the "seatbelt release" clasp on this nicely done bracelet.

This one goes into the "When I hit the Lotto" file... :wink:

AGF-l78XLt6W1j49zhrxLCNrlCcVBN-JeYpShkN8Ow=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Horology House
Published on Sep 5, 2019

Horology House | Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot X Calibre 115

If were to ask any watch lover to pick a brand that has been delivering the goods over the past few years, Oris is likely to come up in a number or responses.
From the Oris BC# and Aquis collection through to the ever popular Oris diver 65, they are a company on the up, and for me they represent what it means to be a customer focused watch brand in 2019.

Well today, we see a shift in the brands current collection, with what is arguably one of their most daring and out there releases in some time.
This is the Oris Big Crown Pro Pilot X 115, and here are my thoughts.

AGF-l7-Vll3q1Hw8h7M_br2pKTvXjMNPfTxh9N50FQ=s48-c-k-c0xffffffff-no-rj-mo

Bark and Jack
Published on Sep 7, 2019

Hi Guys,

I was invited out to Shanghai, China to the launch event and part of the new Oris Big Crown ProPilot X and their new in-house movement the calibre 115.

Very nice indeed. I love ORIS. Too rich for my blood but I can admire it from afar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and monitored by the NSA

• HANDS-ON ORIS
Hands-On Oris Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 Review
A new icon?

BY ANDREAS AHRENS
OCTOBER 11, 2019
9 MIN READ

https://www.fratellowatches.com/hands-on-oris-big-crown-propilot-x-calibre-115-review/

Oris’ new Big Crown ProPilot X Calibre 115 has been a surprise. Not that no one believed Oris could make such a watch, but virtually nobody expected it. With this watch, Oris proudly expose their ability to create extraordinary movements. Besides, they present a strong statement on their vision of the design for a future pilot watch. Fasten seat belts and let’s lift-off to an exploration of this remarkable timepiece.

In 2014 Oris reverted to manufacturing own movements. After a break of decades, they celebrated their re-establishment as manufacture by creating Calibre 110, a watch named after its movement, whose name, in turn, reflects Oris’ 110th anniversary at which they presented it to the public. The most prominent feature of this movement, apart from being manufactured in-house, is its outstanding power reserve of 10 days, which is indicated on a non-linear scale. If you are not familiar with Oris’ recent history you may head to an article our RJ wrote on the Calibre 110’s successor, the Calibre 111. Each year since then, Oris presents a new iteration of this in-house movement, integrating different complications into the base movement.

Oris-ProPilot-X-Calibre-115-mood_02_LowRes_11130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom