Are athletes cool or just plain stupid?

surelyuknow

Tyme Master Jr.
I noticed these two athletes over the weekend... Yeah, we know you have lots of money... but c'mon! There's a time and a place to show off if that's your thing... this isn't that time. Crazy!!!

ED9mcaNVUAAhtIf.jpg

Odell Beckham Jr. playing in a $350,000 Richard Mille watch...

1256590-11-20190909000327.jpeg

Rafael Nadal playing in a Richard Mille watch that retails between $725k and $775k

Ridiculous...

it's swag... he is paid to wear it... it's supplied free...it is generating free press... u r posting about it

stupid is as stupid does... this is not doing stupid... this is doing steps to the 1% club-

-don't think appalachin " stoopid " could be hung on NADAL... he could mud wrestle with an RM on each hand and they would deliver another dozen in a BRINCKS TRUCK...

Nadal has been sporting a Richard Mille as a brand ambassador for quite someTIME. You have to remember that the U.S. Open is sponsored by Rolex and other tournaments are sponsored by Hubot. As far a ODB is concerned he and RM are jumping in on the marketing ploy. Won t be surprised if the NFL fines him for unauthorized equipment. But remember Richard Mille only makes under a 100 of these highly overpriced TIMEpieces a year.

No, not stupid. It's an endorsement and they are paid to wear them. If the watch survives a football game that's great PR for the brand. For tennis that's the market they want. Smart moves IMHO

From what I was told by the salesman at Richard Mille, Richard or Dominique (co founder) gives watches to their friends. I know Richard is a good friend of the tennis player not sure if Beckham is a friend or not. Wish I was a friend! It's advertising basically most of the large watch brand gift watches to promote the brand.

If it weighs 1 pound unsized it will certainly slow them down.:)

The Richard Mille watches weigh NOTHING. I tried on several last time I visited their Boston store. I love the brand myself but when a watch costs as much a studio condo in Boston or an exotic car I would pic the condo or the car first! I would imagine A 1 pound watch on the wrist of a tennis play could help build up his swing. LOL

The strap looks like it matches his uniform. I bet he's getting something, at least the watch, for wearing it during a game.

I agree 100% when it comes to OBJ! Football is a far more savage sport when you have collisions with other players all wearing hard protective gear. Collisions with the ground. 300 lbs men stepping on you while you're on the field! Nobody else is stupid enough to wear their expensive watches (and a bunch of them have them) while playing. OBJ doesn't need to be worrying about what time it is for those couple of hours (you know how long you are going to be playing when you leave the locker room) ... what he NEEDS to be worried about is catching the damn ball while his team is getting dump trucked 43-13 after being hyped all summer!
On the other hand Nadal and many other tennis players will often wear both expensive and inexpensive watches during matches. Most are not interested in what time it is, but interested in how long a particular match (which is very variable) is taking.

Let me also mention, Serena Williams plays the game sporting a AP Royal Oak. People buy what celebrities wear! It's marketing/free advertising!

Yeah, OBJ probably shouldn't have been wearing his watch. Football is much to rough a sport. But to each their own.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/08/obj-makes-browns-debut-wearing-a-350000-watch/

The Browns lost on Sunday, but receiver Odell Beckham Jr. had no excuse for losing track of time.

Via USA Today, Beckham wore a $350,000 Richard Mille watch to commemorate his first game in Cleveland.
Not to the game or after the game but during the game. On the field. In violation of whatever NFL rules undoubtedly prevent a player from wearing a wristwatch during a game.
And if OBJ is fined, it could be significant, given that Invicta undoubtedly pays the league a nice chunk of change to sell NFL-licensed watches. A dozen years ago, Hall of Fame linebacker Brian Urlacher received a $100,000 fine for wearing a Vitamin Water hat to a press conference during Super Bowl week, in defiance of the league’s longstanding partnership with Gatorade.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/watches-and-golf/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/tennis/9409119/djokovic-nadal-williams-watches-wimbledon/

I'm wearing Kmart underwear, but it did not help them, and I'm a Top Doc in Philadelphia Magazine and South Jersey Magazine! Who'da thunk! :lol:

If you have it...flaunt it...no hating here...just a bit of envy I guess...

I wish I could throw on a RM as my pulling weeds watch...Ya know...and spray it off with the hose...

It's one thing flaunting something on your own time, but on the field you sold those rights away when signing a contract. If you're employed by a company and being compensated millions of dollars you need to follow the rules like everyone else on the playing field of a team sport.

it's swag... he is paid to wear it... it's supplied free...it is generating free press... u r posting about it

stupid is as stupid does... this is not doing stupid... this is doing steps to the 1% club-

-don't think appalachin " stoopid " could be hung on NADAL... he could mud wrestle with an RM on each hand and they would deliver another dozen in a BRINCKS TRUCK...

As I said, there is a time and place for these high dollar show-off timepieces. Coming to a game or match, fine. Doing the press conference after the game, sure absolutely. But why are they wearing them during play? Are they keeping track of how much time is left on the parking meter? During play seems stupid to me, who can even really see or notice them on their wrists while playing? If the photographers and writers didn't mention them no one would even know what they were. (or frankly care) Most folks don't know the difference between a Richard Mille and an Invicta.

We all understand that these players are gifted these watches, but again there is a time and a place... At least that's the way I see it...

Back
Top Bottom