4 11.43%
  • Hate them

9 25.71%
  • Doesn't make a difference

22 62.86%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cyclops

The Cyclops

Whatever you want to call that magnifying chip over the date. I'm not a fan of these. I don't find them aesthetically pleasing, I think it makes the watch look older in style. I was just curious to what you guys think. I know many members are of an older generation than myself. I'm 40. I wear corrective lenses for being nearsighted. But even if I did have poor reading Vision I'd much rather a larger datebox rather than a magnifier that only works when you're looking directly over the crystal. What I'm wondering is if you would be persuaded either way to purchase a watch that has this magnifying chip. Yes you like them, no you don't, or you could care less and it doesn't affect your appreciation of the style? Thanks in advance.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

I don't like them, but I have yet to remove one. I have the lighters for it and everything, just haven't ever done it. May be a project for tonight now.
    Dan

I have no idea how many of my watches have these things I'm now going to look

5. The Following Like This Post

ACE

Quote Originally Posted by dmccartney View Post
    I don't like them, but I have yet to remove one. I have the lighters for it and everything, just haven't ever done it. May be a project for tonight now.
    Whatcha mean? You can torch them and melt the glue? You know anyone who has removes them with success?

Tyme Machine
    If done right I like them. By right I mean actually over the date window properly. Some actually magnify a nice date window which I like or nicely done date wheel. Also can live without them for most of my watches.

Yeah. You need a torch lighter and only hold it there for a few seconds and it pops off. I think it was Tymebandit who did a DIY on it, or posted it up on here anyway. I think when I do it I will pull the dial and movement out just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyd View Post
    Whatcha mean? You can torch them and melt the glue? You know anyone who has removes them with success?
    Dan

9. The Following Like This Post

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lived on Long Island, In Witness Protection Program in Las Vegas
    I don't mind cyclops when they're under the crystal but when they are on top of the crystal I rip those suckers off.

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.ph...-From-The-Dead!

SENT FROM MY FLIP PHONE USING TAPIOCA

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

I don't like them at all , and even though Arthur is the voice of experience on this I'm not tryin it myself .

Published on Nov 11, 2009

DAMAGE TO YOUR WATCH MAY OCCUR - PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.WARNING: I can only confirm this method works for Invicta and Alpha brands. This method should NOT be used for any other brand. Specifically, this method does NOT work for Rolex cyclops. WARNING: Do NOT over heat the crystal as it could break or pop out of the case. Max heat time should be less than 5 seconds on an already-warm watch. Please see the reply video from a fellow watch guy who removed the cyclops from his Explorer II by force. I don't recommend this method, as it could seriously cause damage to your watch, but worth a look.This is how to remove the cyclops from a watch crystal. I've done it with various models of Invictas and Alphas. Seems to work rather uniformly (I have not had it not work). Use some Goof Off after removal to remove the residual glue and you're all done. My wife told me I rambled a bit, and it's true, so skip to 2:15 for the business end of the video Please proceed with caution when using lighters and this method. If you heat your crystal there is a risk it can crack. I have not had a crystal crack and I've done this method multiple times on Invicta and Alpha brand watches. If you're having to heat the crystal more than the time it took me in this video, please heat in stages, 2 sec , wait 2 sec wait 2 sec (don't go over 6 seconds total) so you don't shock the crystal too much. Again, I have never had a crystal crack or any other damage occur to a watch by doing this method, but there is always a risk.

http://watchintyme.com/showthread.ph...-From-The-Dead!

14. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Dino View Post
    I have no idea how many of my watches have these things I'm now going to look
    LOL. Never know

..........Louis.................. .........

16. The Following Like This Post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast