A WIT Edition watch

A WIT Edition watch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about a Woodstock inspired watch? Not!

Been there...done that...

http://sneakhype.com/art/2017/12/this-custom-hand-engraved-rolex-was-designed-for-stoners.html

https://third-eye-assembly.myshopify.com/pages/weed-rolex-portfolio

rolex-oyster-perpetual-milgauss-cannabis-03-550x800.jpg

[MENTION=652]surelyuknow[/MENTION]

I was actually thinking something very similar. Your suggestion is great, and has obviously worked in the past too, so it has a lot of credibility in terms of way to go.

I had been thinking, why not just have some dials designed that we could each then pick and chose which watches to mod? The group would have to agree on a dial size or sizes, but someone here should have a good handle on what sizes would give the most possible mods.

Something similar could then be done for casebacks too.

However, considering all said above, I still like your proven suggestion the best, as we know it worked and we also know that Limited Edition runs of 50 to 100 are not unreasonable for a micro-brand to supply. Just never forget the KISS rule . . . . Keep it Stainless Steel and how can you go wrong? ;-)

I would have definitely considered jumping in on that LE run of Watch Freek Boschett, it is super nice and even the bracelet slides very solidly into my range of desirability in a watch.

The micro brand that jumps to mind for me is H20, since they already offer such a great degree of customization on quite a few models. Plus, I still have them on my list of "I want one of those . . . ". Boschett would also be at the top of any list too, since they already did it once.

If you don't mind me asking - what was the price (range) of that LE WF run?

Wow, just noticed 2 more pages of posts - so I hope I am not repeating ideas this thread has already flowed into. If I am, then hopefully we are closer to figuring out a real possibility.

[MENTION=652]surelyuknow[/MENTION]

I was actually thinking something very similar. Your suggestion is great, and has obviously worked in the past too, so it has a lot of credibility in terms of way to go.

I had been thinking, why not just have some dials designed that we could each then pick and chose which watches to mod? The group would have to agree on a dial size or sizes, but someone here should have a good handle on what sizes would give the most possible mods.

Something similar could then be done for casebacks too.

However, considering all said above, I still like your proven suggestion the best, as we know it worked and we also know that Limited Edition runs of 50 to 100 are not unreasonable for a micro-brand to supply. Just never forget the KISS rule . . . . Keep it Stainless Steel and how can you go wrong? ;-)

I would have definitely considered jumping in on that LE run of Watch Freek Boschett, it is super nice and even the bracelet slides very solidly into my range of desirability in a watch.

The micro brand that jumps to mind for me is H20, since they already offer such a great degree of customization on quite a few models. Plus, I still have them on my list of "I want one of those . . . ". Boschett would also be at the top of any list too, since they already did it once.

If you don't mind me asking - what was the price (range) of that LE WF run?

Wow, just noticed 2 more pages of posts - so I hope I am not repeating ideas this thread has already flowed into. If I am, then hopefully we are closer to figuring out a real possibility.

I wouldn’t worry about repeating ideas as for some reason it suddenly turned into a Woodstock conversation. :dunno:

I wouldn’t worry about repeating ideas as for some reason it suddenly turned into a Woodstock conversation. :dunno:

Anything to keep hope alive...Buzz...LOL

and [MENTION=2037]Adicus[/MENTION]...I fear that even if by some miracle a brand like H2O would be willing to do something...the price would be prohibitive for many...me included...as I too have always wanted an Orca...but can't bring myself to do it...:cry:

BTW...did you vote? :wink:

Forum watches are usually but not always a slow-motion train wreck. I can think of a couple of exceptions but it's something more often discussed than executed.

The difficulty of arriving at a consensus has already been pointed out. It can be likened to getting 50 people to agree on where to have lunch. By the time you've beaten the gluten-free, spice-averse, vegans into a sort of compliance the decision will generally be long-winded and result in at least half the people bailing out of the enterprise. The problem is only partially mitigated by picking an existing model with a custom dial.

A different sort of poll might disclose the issues with greater clarity. Something along the lines of:

Who's in for a forum watch 40mm and under dress type?
Only 45mm diameter and under?
Only 46mm diameter and bigger?
Dive style?
Thickness under 18mm?
Thickness over 20mm?
Mechanical / Quartz / Solar / GPS /
Chrono or not?
...and I suppose each of the above can be further broken down by price range and brand.

With a poll showing, say, 6 (or 16) options we might get a range on what some folks will bail out from rather than purchase.

We're probably better off with a ball cap or T-shirt. The only thing in common is the logo with colors and sizes ranging all over the place.

I hate to be a Negative Neal but as has been pointed out recently in another thread, we watch nerds are a very picky bunch. Coming up with a style/model that any majority of us would agree to would be a tall hill to climb. Dress?, diver?, aviator?, no > than 40mm?, no < than 50mm? :dunno: I think we'd be hard pressed to find even ten WiT's to agree to any one design. Nice to dream and speculate though :hmm:

This sums it up for me.

That said, I'd be all for it so long as douchebag CH isn't involved.
Personally I bet Wing would be willing to take on the project. And that would make me a potential buyer.
IMO the best way to do this would be with an existing model watch with a simple WIT logo applied. Nothing new and nothing to argue over, here it is take it or leave it.

I'd be all for it so long as douchebag CH isn't involved.
I must not have followed the WatchGeeks watch thread close enough even though I bought one. Other than a delay that I faintly remember, what else transpired that make people feel negatively about CH. Just curious.

The idea of a particular brand, style, size, etc. with the only modification being a forum logo certainly has merit.

However, since it results in a "take it or leave it" scenario it might be confounded by some or a majority simply electing to "leave it". We've already seen statements of non-participation based on brand and price point. It is perhaps likely that as soon as other facets are finalized that we'll see "leaving it" multiplied by size and style.

I suppose we all have a lengthy list (some more lengthy than others) of stuff we're just plain not interested in. With all the various factors in play it results in what early IBM programmers referred to as a "combinatorial explosion".

Still a "take it or leave it" approach might be preferable to the alternative which is a watch designed by a committee.

I must not have followed the WatchGeeks watch thread close enough even though I bought one. Other than a delay that I faintly remember, what else transpired that make people feel negatively about CH. Just curious.

Not the topic of thread and there's nothing funny down that road. Sorry.

The idea of a particular brand, style, size, etc. with the only modification being a forum logo certainly has merit.

However, since it results in a "take it or leave it" scenario it might be confounded by some or a majority simply electing to "leave it". We've already seen statements of non-participation based on brand and price point. It is perhaps likely that as soon as other facets are finalized that we'll see "leaving it" multiplied by size and style.

I suppose we all have a lengthy list (some more lengthy than others) of stuff we're just plain not interested in. With all the various factors in play it results in what early IBM programmers referred to as a "combinatorial explosion".

Still a "take it or leave it" approach might be preferable to the alternative which is a watch designed by a committee.

Your points are certainly valid. All I'll say is what's most important about any potential WIT watch is that it's a WIT watch, something someone would want to buy, own, and wear based on the fact that it physically links them to the WIT forum, some place most of us can be proud to be a part of. For me I feel like as long as the watch isn't out of a gumball machine or crackerjack box it should be worthy of such a place in the collection. Being less expensive will make it more appealing to those simply wanting to be part of the forum vs something that cost $500+ where people start getting picky about features.

40-45mm
Stainless case, strap watch.
NH35
WIT logo dial
<$250?

Invicta could do it for $100. Surely a better maker can do it for two or three times that and make a much better watch that doesn't think it's a BiGR copy. There are many cos out there with watches that fit this tiny list of widely accepted features, all that needs done is find one that's willing to make a custom dial for an existing design. Simple.

But I'm no watch company so what do I know. My habit of being simple minded often leaves me without a clue.

A WIT Edition watch

Or go the Undone Watches customizing route with something like their Basecamp model and simply select WIT as the custom initials on the dial.
https://www.undone.com/en/watch/builder/basecamp/541-542-544-268-269-548-575

Undone is such an awesome brand. I still want a few in my collection without a doubt.

I did not read the entire thread. But I know on another watch forum. There have been many group/buy custom watches made by Vostok. Not Vostok Europe but Vostok. Seems the members/group buy usually do a run of 200-250 watches. Usually in the $150+ price point.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

Craig Hester posted a couple years ago, that it would take around 100 buyers to get such a watch project done. Even if he was off by 50%, the WiT watch project isn't even close. So I don't think it's worth discussion. In any event, it's definitely not worth fighting or arguing. That's just my 2 cents.

I've held out my 2 cents on this but I think its only fair that the majority of folks respond, esp those of us to are on the forum frequently.

For me its pretty straight forward, I'd be in if everything about the watch would've made me want it to begin with, I'd be out if I were only buying it cause it was a WIT watch.

I have the WG VE NP*1 LE watch. I enjoy it very much. But I only bought it cause I loved the watch. Right size, right price point, great looking IMO really liking the color scheme, the extra natos and the full lume dial. Which at the time was the only NP*1 with a full lume dial....

however a short time later they released the same watch just with the normal VE logo instead of the WG logo..... I wish I had the normal logo version.

So you can mark me down as a maybe.

Back
Top Bottom