What Watch Would You Like To See Redone?

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
SaleenDriver
Published on Jul 23, 2019

An idea came to me while looking at some of my watches and thinking, "I'd love to see this one made again, with a modern twist". So I made this video. Please enjoy, and comment below on which watches you'd like to see done again.

image.php

This one looks very cool.

giphy.gif

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-electrostatic-accutron-concept-movement-introducing

At Baselworld this year, Citizen and Bulova debuted a new concept movement which has some of the features of the original Accutron, but which also uses a new-to-wristwatches technology to both generate power for the watch, and to move the hands.

The Accutron concept movement will remind Accutron enthusiasts immediately of the Accutron Spaceview, an original-production Accutron which had an open dial, allowing the tuning fork mechanism and transistor to be seen. The concept movement likewise exposes the mechanism, however, there's no tuning fork. Instead, two small turbine-like structures are visible in the lower half of the dial, which rotate rapidly when the watch is in motion, while the upper part of the dial is dominated by a near-identical, but larger, turbine – this rotates continuously, as it drives the seconds hand in a smooth forward motion that recalls the original Accutron watches.

hero.jpg

The two lower turbines are actually electrostatic generators, while the upper, larger, driving turbine is an electrostatic motor. An electrostatic motor is different from a conventional electric motor in several key aspects. A standard electric motor consists of a central rotor, wound with wire through which an electrical current travels; this rotor sits inside the stator, which is a ring-shaped permanent magnet. As current passes through the rotor coils, a magnetic field is produced and the attraction and repulsion of this field with respect to the permanent magnet surrounding it, causes the rotor to rotate, turning the driving shaft of the motor.
accutron_gif.gif

Not a specific watch, but I'd like the 1960s-style domed crystal dress watch to be trendy again. Now among popular affordable brands only Orient Bambino does it. Back then all kinds of dress watches, cheap or expensive, on the streets, have domed crystals

s-l300.jpg

Biolume skelly, Invicta SAS JT spinel, Gauge 9100, Xeric Squared in larger size with lume hands and numbers

I have an older Android called the Impetus Jump Hour which I would love to see other renditions of.

AD635ABU-2.jpg
AD635AK-2T.jpg
AD635AK-3T.jpg

ANDROID® Antigravity® Jumping Hour Automatic Limited Edition

Band Leather Band
Movement Seagull TY2709 automatic movement 20 jewels
Crystal Sapphire
Crown Push/pull
Clasp Buckle
Band Measurements 9.5" L x 24mm W
Case Measurements 48mm
Water Resistance 10 ATM - 100 meters - 330 feet

1_1_10_800x.jpg
2_11_800x.jpg

The ANDROID Impetus Jumping Hour Automatic has a very exciting mechanical (automatic) movement. The big hand shows the minutes, the small red hand at 6 o'clock indicates the seconds and the window at 12 o'clock will show the hour in digits. Every 60 minutes the hour will jump, that's why this type of watches is usually called a 'jumping hour' or 'jump hour'.

This watch comes with 2 year warranty and the beautiful ANDROID box. The shipping is free.

Technical
Color Black
Movement 40 hours
Power reserve 40 hours
Glass Mineral glass
Date No
Thickness 46.0mm
Water resistance Mineral glass
Case material Steel

Never knew there was a MOP version of the Impetus Jump Hour. I have the red/black version.

That Accutron Concept is amazing. Are they actually releasing it or was it just a "concept" for Basel?

ACCUTRON

First unveiled in 1960 to universal acclaim, Accutron, known as the world's first fully electronic watch, has been declared as one of the most important innovations in the history of watchmaking. With the same passion for innovation and groundbreaking technology, Accutron introduces a new historical advancement in timekeeping. After a decade of dedicated research and development, Accutron is proud to unveil the world’s first concept movement charged by electrostatic energy.

The electrostatic energy is created by twin turbines that rotate as a result of human motion at incredible speeds between two electrodes affixed to the movement. The energy, stored in an accumulator, powers two motors; a world's first electrostatic motor fueling the fluid second hand and a step motor powering the hour and minute hands. Both motors are synchronized through integrated circuits to provide accuracy to +/- 5 seconds a month.

Accutron’s history is rooted in innovation and invention and will continue to grow its portfolio of timekeeping advancements. Continuing to maintain its position at the forefront of timekeeping accuracy, Accutron is committed to upholding an extraordinary legacy of excellence in design, style and technology as it reenters the watch industry.
Be the first to know.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-electrostatic-accutron-concept-movement-introducing

The technology certainly produces unique aesthetics and while the movement was presented as a concept movement, rather than a new line of watches, the technology looks mature and ready for market, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point in the near future we saw it in commercially available watches. Citizen released its caliber 0100 as a concept movement a year before the commercially available limited editions came out, so there's a company precedent for the strategy. The resemblance, visually and kinetically, to the original Spaceview tuning fork Accutron watch is a powerful nostalgia play (though this is a concept movement, I'd honestly be just fine if these were the aesthetics of a finished watch) but with a drive system unique to the new electrostatic Accutron concept movement, and it'll be interesting to see what next steps are planned. If you want news on the Accutron concept movement direct from Citizen, there's a teaser site up, right here. The press release also says in part, "Accutron is committed to upholding an extraordinary legacy of excellence in design, style and technology as it reenters the watch industry," so it looks like Accutron is on the comeback trail.

Back
Top Bottom