Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gripes Against Seiko Dive Watches

This is the Seiko I always wanted, but the movement kept me from pulling the trigger: SKX007

2. The Following Like This Post

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lived on Long Island, In Witness Protection Program in Las Vegas
    I gots no gripes with Seikos. You know what your getting or not getting going into the purchase, and if you like it (expletive) what anyone else is gripping about.
    Another option, (the one I took) Gits you a Deep Blue anti-Seiko. Solid company, sapphire crystal, hacking workhorse movement. Gripe that!

SENT FROM MY FLIP PHONE USING TAPIOCA

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

This was a good read so tanks to the OP for this !

Quote Originally Posted by paulclu View Post
    This is the Seiko I always wanted, but the movement kept me from pulling the trigger: SKX007

NH movement and crown swap would be my choice.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

Quote Originally Posted by paulclu View Post

I held out for the longest time but eventually decided that the lack of hacking and handwinding wasn't a deal breaker and bought it. In fact, I swapped the bracelet for a StrapCode Super Jubilee just like the above and I LOVE it. What a great watch.
    - Frank

8. The Following 2 Users Like This Post

10. The Following Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bella Dino View Post
    Most of the non hacking non winding new watches are the recraft series which holds true to their tradition of the original watches being non winding non hacking. Most of these watches are available through a secondary source for well under $100 as well. No one is pushing you to buy it nor do I have any vested interest in the company although I do own a bunch. None of my watches have poorly aligned chapter rings or any quality issues for that matter no foggy crystals the hands stay on ECT. These really are what they are for lack of better words inexpensive mechanical watches. The Styles and features don't suit everyone but to discount them as garbage is just ridiculous. But I get it and by getting it this should open up a Frank and honest discussion about many brands one in particular comes to mind. Sunlight is always the best disinfectant and if there's a problem with the watch we should all know about it. Croton and they're fake unlimited warranty should be the first brand that comes in to discussion. People post a ton of watches that I don't particularly care for but that being said I genuinely appreciate the fact that they enjoy them for what that matters.
    Thank you for saying this so that I don't have to.

Aside from the Recraft series, not many Seikos today that I'm aware of have the older 7S26 non-hacking non-winding movements. Those movements are still being used in the Recraft series to compliment the vintage feel of the watches in that line. And as Bella Dino correctly stated, many of those watches sell for $100 and under--a fairly compelling value IMHO.

Pretty much all other entry level Seiko automatics are now being produced with the 4R35--which is the in house name for the NH35 movement that Seiko has taken over the movement market with. Think how many watches you see running the NH35 movement--if you want to talk about market dominance, there's a clear leader. I would speculate that Seiko sells 50 NH35's for every 9015 that Miyota sells. Just a wild guess.

My 4R35's and NH35's tend to be very accurate--more accurate than many of my Eta autos. I'm not sure how this is possible--it's just what I observe from timing every watch I buy.

Here's a statement worthy of consideration: Seiko is the World Leader in automatic movements--in terms of both units produced and accuracy. (I'm not sure if it's true but I can't think of even a close competitor).

Seiko is no different from any other company in business when it comes to the bottom line. Using a non-hacking movement to compliment a "vintage" feel may sound nice, but when it gets down to brass tacks, I'm going to speculate that it is nothing more than a cost effective movement to be used in lower tier models.

The 7S26 family was introduced in 1996 as a mainstream automatic watch movement, replacing the Seiko 7002 in many cases. Although earlier Seiko calibres featured quickset date using the crown in second position, the 7S26 adds a counter-clockwise quickset day feature as well. This family is non-hacking and not capable of hand winding, unlike its follow-on movements like the 6R15 and 4R35.

It is almost totally different from earlier Seiko 7002 series calibres, though it does continue the "Magic lever" bi-directional winding design. Rather than using a dedicated winding bridge to locate the lever, the 7s26 family locates it with a brass bushing on one side and the rachet wheel on the other. The keyless works have been relocated from the top plate to the bottom plate, making it easier to service these components from the back plate rather than removing the entire works. The two added jewels, compared to its predecessor, support the third wheel and escape wheel.

Variants
    The 7S26A was the original movement, introduced in 1996. It was revised with an Etachron regulator in 2006, becoming the 7S26B. Another revision, the 7S26C began appearing in 2011. The 6R15 family was introduced in 2006 as a high-end derivative of the 7S26B, including the Etachron regulator and coming complete with a longer power reserve thanks to its Spron 510 mainspring. In 2008, Seiko introduced the 4R15/4R16, which were based on the 6R15 but lack the hacking and hand winding features. Finally, Seiko released the hacking/hand-winding 4R3x series which also lack the Spron 510 mainspring. These are sold as an upmarket alternative to the 7S26C, also released in 2011.

Like most Seiko movements, the 7S26 family operates at 21,600 vph. All models feature sweep hour, minute, and seconds hands. The 7S26 and 7S36 feature both day and date in a window, while the 7S25, 7S36 and 7S55 have only a date window. The 7S26 and 7S25 have 21 jewels while the 7S35, 7S36, and 7S55 have 23 jewels. The 7S55 is identical to the 7S35 except for a rotor decorated with Tokyo stripes for limited use in a line of Seiko 5 Superior watches from the late 1990's.

The 7S26 movement family remains in production as of 2018, serving as the most affordable tier of automatic movements from Seiko. It is used in the SNK series of watches.

Seiko 7S Family

The following movements were all based on the Seiko 7S26 movement.
    Group Year
    Introduced
    Movements Mainspring Hacking/
    Hand-winding
    7S 1996 7S25, 7S26, 7S35, 7S36, 7S55 Traditional No
    6R1x 2006 6R15, 6R20, 6R21, 6R24 Spron 510 Yes
    4R1x 2008 4R15, 4R16 Spron 510 No
    4R3x 2011 4R35, 4R36, 4R37, 4R38, 4R39 Traditional Yes

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234