Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gripes Against Seiko Dive Watches

Gripes Against Seiko Dive Watches

I can live with Hardlex and some other minor gripes. If particular Seiko models I own have the expected awesome lume, IMO it definitely balances the scales for me. I see other brands in the same price range with the same type clasp and mineral crystals that have OK lume, but nowhere near Seiko. The brand also get points for having in-house movements.

2. The Following 6 Users Like This Post

No new information here. These facts are widely known--Seiko uses Hardlex in their dive watches, Seiko uses metal bezel inserts, and Seiko bracelets tend to be on the sucky side. That said, I've always liked the Monster bracelet, and even some of my ReCrafts have pretty nice bracelets.

Just hate having to watch a video for 6 minutes to get 10 seconds worth of already well known information......

4. The Following 5 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by timecat View Post
    No new information here. These facts are widely known--Seiko uses Harlex in their dive watches, Seiko uses metal bezel inserts, and Seiko bracelets tend to be on the sucky side. That said, I've always liked the Monster bracelet, and even some of my ReCrafts have pretty nice bracelets.

Just hate having to watch a video for 6 minutes to get 10 seconds worth of already well known information......

Did anyone hold a gun to your head?

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post

Ha! No, no gun to my head.

Did anyone hold a gun to your head?

Ha! No.....I guess I was more addressing the guy making the video. I mean, why take the time. With that title, I guess he's trying to grab subscribers for his channel--but then he's just reporting old news.

When I'm starting a new business or endeavor, I try to bring something fresh--a new perspective or some helpful new information.

8. The Following 4 Users Like This Post

I'm with you on that TC, but here's how I look at. I know there are members here who may see stamped clasp being used on some other popular forum brands that are not Seiko collectors or even own one. For guys like you and others including myself, it can sound like a broken record.

10. The Following 4 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by timecat View Post
    No new information here. These facts are widely known--Seiko uses Harlex in their dive watches, Seiko uses metal bezel inserts, and Seiko bracelets tend to be on the sucky side. That said, I've always liked the Monster bracelet, and even some of my ReCrafts have pretty nice bracelets.

Agreed, nothing new in there.

Here's my 2 cents:

I've never had a problem with a crystal of any kind so I'm good with Seiko's Hardlex.

I know the bezel inserts are metal going into the purchase. And I'm completely fine with that.

Seiko bracelets aren't the best and the low end ones close to being unacceptable for me. But I can swap out bracelets for upgrades or for straps if I'm into the watch.

The video reeks of wanting Seiko to be something it's not. I know what Invicta is and don't expect it to make smaller designs w/ automatic movements just for me.
    - Frank

12. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    I'm with you on that TC, but here's how I look at. I know there are members here who may see stamped clasp being used on some other popular forum brands that are not Seiko collectors or even own one. Guys like you and others including myself, it's a broken record.
    Great point. We need to remember that just because we already know this, doesn't mean it can't help someone else. My bad......

14. The Following 4 Users Like This Post

Thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear another viewpoint.

If anyone doesn't like the Hardlex crystal material then I suggest simply buying a Seiko diver that doesn't use it. There are a few out there to pick from. The Kinetic Tuna for example has a sapphire crystal.

16. The Following 5 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by ftrez View Post
    Agreed, nothing new in there.

Here's my 2 cents:

I've never had a problem with a crystal of any kind so I'm good with Seiko's Hardlex.

I know the bezel inserts are metal going into the purchase. And I'm completely fine with that.

Seiko bracelets aren't the best and the low end ones close to being unacceptable for me. But I can swap out bracelets for upgrades or for straps if I'm into the watch.

The video reeks of wanting Seiko to be something it's not. I know what Invicta is and don't expect it to make smaller designs w/ automatic movements just for me.

I agree--I've never had a problem with a Seiko crystal.

Seiko also makes all of their dive watches with drilled lugs so strap/bracelet changes are pretty easy. When I get a bracelet I don't like with a Samurai, for example, I have no problem popping a Nato or a rubber strap on there. The only problems arise with the fatty spring bars-- they don't always fit into aftermarket straps/bracelets.

18. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Quote Originally Posted by Locoboy5150 View Post
    Thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear another viewpoint.

If anyone doesn't like the Hardlex crystal material then I suggest simply buying a Seiko diver that doesn't use it. There are a few out there to pick from. The Kinetic Tuna for example has a sapphire crystal.
    Not only does the SUN019 have a sapphire crystal, but the bracelet is very nice, even with the high polished parts, also the lume on those high rise markers is off the charts. I finally caved and picked one up, it looks like nothing I have in my collection, almost futuristic. I'll post some photos when I take them and let you know how the toothbrush charger works.

20. The Following 3 Users Like This Post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast