How many to become a collector?

sota0003

Tyme Master
Founding Member
I don’t know if we have ever talked about this. So, how many watches do you have to have before you’re considered a collector? Obviously everybody will have a different view point but I’m curious to see what you guys think

I only have two wrist, so anything over two is what I consider excessive or collecting.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I guess I'd have to say 6...probably a sane number for a modest collection :dunno:
I'm afraid to actually count mine...:oops:

I don't think there is an actual number that qualifies a collector. I think if you have more than two watches , and you purchase at least 1 watch per year , you are a collector.

I think there are differences. If you have a few, like 4 or 5 that you change out and they were given as gifts and that sort of thing, I don't think you are a collector. Even if you bought all of them for yourself just so you have some variety for your wardrobe. Once it gets to a point where you are buying and selling to make room for new ones, even if you only have 4 or 5, then you are a collector.

If you look at classic cars, if you bought yourself 1 classic car and that is all you have, you are a collector. If your dad had a classic car and passes it down to you, people could say you are a collector, but in that situation I don't know that you are as you didn't go out and buy what you wanted. It is more sentimental at that point, where the one you purchased, could be sold for a different one that suits your tastes later. The same could be said about the one passed down, but that would make you a car collector then.

I guess the same thing can be said about more than one of anything = collecting. I guess if you have more than one wife you're not only a polygamist, broke and a collector of wives, but leaves little money or time for any other collecting.

So, Anyway Hey...Happy National Sunglasses Day Everyone!:cool:

NSD-Logo_Stacked-300x160.png

65139862_10162136631465615_2672439891224166400_n.jpg

65129340_10109416286273672_3425073149673209856_n.jpg

When you loose count of how many you have. Your doomed. LOL

When you are standing in front of your watches trying to figure out which one to wear today... :think: No doubt about it, you are a watch collector!

So I guess because I have two pairs of shoes this make me a shoe collector? Hmmmm :think:

When you are standing in front of your watches trying to figure out which one to wear today... :think: No doubt about it, you are a watch collector!

I resemble this remark... lol

I don't think you even have to have one to be a collector. Its all about mindset. I think you can be "in-between" pieces and still be a collector. I've know guys who only have one at a time but rotate what they buy and sell.

I think it's totally legit to say something like. "I collect Rolex, I've sold my last Yactmaster so I can get a hulk sub next time the right one comes up."

Its a mindset. Do you have a passion for one or more aspect of the hobby? Do you intend to personally own what you have a passion for at sometime? Are you willing to put aside the money to make this happen? Even if it may take a long time? (or leverage other assets to get the piece you're after) That's good enough for me to be a collector.

that said... does anyone on this forum have 2 or fewer watches? I'm guessing the answer is no. Maybe ScottyB?

Back
Top Bottom