Epic mod fail day (learning the hard way)

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
AAuE7mBHDMDZX_S090PTbb_5JGkF5Dke0L0xmZD0CA=s48-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

Random Rob
Published on Feb 17, 2019

I was in the mood, but lacked the skill or luck this day. I will win in the end (no matter the cost), stay positive.

All parts and tools where good, all mistakes where due to the operator.

Well...he surely didn't help me want to attempt to do my own mod. Lol
Thanks Mike

Definitely out of my comfort zone

Sent from my iPhone and eavesdropped by the NSA using Tapatalk

I'll leave this stuff to the pros. I've learned enough the hard way. :nope:

Random Rob
Published on Feb 18, 2019

Big thanks to LCBI for sending some parts over to share. These new sapphire lumed bezel inserts are a must have for all new builds.

https://lcbistore.com

Understandable. I was considering replacing a malfunctioning Seagull TY2806 auto, and was looking for a cheaper movement replacement, since the costs of the watch [on sale] was near the cost of a new TY2806. I found some replacements, but almost every dimension matched, except the depth. I think that some 'might' fit satisfactorily, but it wasn't worth the chance. Someday, when I retire, I'm going to give it a try. I'm just too busy to play right now.

Sometimes it could be the movement retainer ring that could cause fit issues. Wing had explained this to me once before when I was considering a movement swap.

:hmm:George Fox told me the same thing. I was thinking about putting the NH38 no-date into this quartz watch. :nail: I'm still thinking about it, but don't want to mess the watch watch up, I like this one a lot.

36264874990_d29000f8a2_c.jpg
35851651943_5594a6864d_c.jpg
35851664053_80bb9ca62b_b.jpg
38040173732_a75f787b9c_c.jpg
36264894460_f42347798d_c.jpg

Sometimes it could be the movement retainer ring that could cause fit issues. Wing had explained this to me once before when I was considering a movement swap.
That's is what I believe as well, since the retainer causes the movement to fit into the case. Some may work, but since they are usually not returnable, I didn't think it worth a try yet. Also, pinions for hands may be different too, although I am not sure. If so, new hands would also be needed. BUT, most hands seemed compatible with the 'similar/compatible' movements. So I was thinking that the old hands would fit. However, the new movement and hands would cost more than what I aid for the watch [on sale], so I didn't think it would be worth the attempt. But maybe someday as a hobby project.

:hmm:George Fox told me the same thing. I was thinking about putting the NH38 no-date into this quartz watch. :nail: I'm still thinking about it, but don't want to mess the watch watch up, I like this one a lot.
The video author called the difference in fit as 'tolerance'. I bet that this tolerance is some wiggle room by 1 mm or 2. Still, the dial certainly can limit movements due to the pinion depths. Raised markers can impede the hands from turning if the pinion depth is too low. So even if the retainer ring allows for a movement depth difference, the pinion positions may not, depending on the dial of course.

I really think for my second career I would like to go to a watchmaker school and learn about all this and do this kind of thing as a second career. Hopefully my eyes and hands will be steady and agree with that LOL

The video author called the difference in fit as 'tolerance'. I bet that this tolerance is some wiggle room by 1 mm or 2. Still, the dial certainly can limit movements due to the pinion depths. Raised markers can impede the hands from turning if the pinion depth is too low. So even if the retainer ring allows for a movement depth difference, the pinion positions may not, depending on the dial of course.

Hey Bill, I'm not sure if this is the watch you have with the bad movement. I picked these up from Wing a while back. The last time I checked them they had foggy crystals. You're more than welcome to have one. I'll see if I can track them down in the cluster of watches scattered around. I can always throw one in the mail. I can even crack the watch open to clean the crystal. I just have to find out where the stem removal lever/button is on these. I have it posted somewhere here I think, but I'll figure it out.

m7HDcw.jpg

Hip0zS.jpg

https://www.aragonwatch.com/product_p/ad543bbu.htm

https://www.aragonwatch.com/product_p/ad543bk.htm

Innovative industrial design with reliable modern mechanics come together in the powerful presence of Divemaster® Maxjet® Automatic. The surgical-grade stainless steel case measures an impressive 17mm thick and 48mm across, topped by a ridged unidirectional turning bezel with engraved scale to keep track of elapsed time and a prominent screw-down crown to ensure water resistance to 20ATM/200m/660ft. The 21-jewel Seagull TY2806 Automatic movement impels the Superluminova silver-tone-accented hour and minute hands and striking yellow second hand. Choose from black, blue or orange honeycomb dial with Superluminova hour markers and a date window at the 6:00 position. The perfect complement to this imposing timepiece is the brushed stainless steel linked bracelet with large ANDROID® logo on the first links.

BandStainless steel
MovementSeagull TY2806 Automatic w/ 21 Jewels
CrystalMineral
CrownScrew Down
ClaspDeployant
Band Measurements9" L x 24mm W
Case Measurements48mm
Water Resistance20 ATM - 200 meters - 660 feet

After viewing this Video and listening to comments then I'm not attempting this mod stuff. As Gary stated
leave to experts.

Hey Bill, I'm not sure if this is the watch you have with the bad movement. I picked these up from Wing a while back. The last time I checked them they had foggy crystals. You're more than welcome to have one. I'll see if I can track them down in the cluster of watches scattered around. I can always throw one in the mail. I can even crack the watch open to clean the crystal. I just have to find out where the stem removal lever/button is on these. I have it posted somewhere here I think, but I'll figure it out.

https://www.aragonwatch.com/product_p/ad543bbu.htm

https://www.aragonwatch.com/product_p/ad543bk.htm

Innovative industrial design with reliable modern mechanics come together in the powerful presence of Divemaster® Maxjet® Automatic. The surgical-grade stainless steel case measures an impressive 17mm thick and 48mm across, topped by a ridged unidirectional turning bezel with engraved scale to keep track of elapsed time and a prominent screw-down crown to ensure water resistance to 20ATM/200m/660ft. The 21-jewel Seagull TY2806 Automatic movement impels the Superluminova silver-tone-accented hour and minute hands and striking yellow second hand. Choose from black, blue or orange honeycomb dial with Superluminova hour markers and a date window at the 6:00 position. The perfect complement to this imposing timepiece is the brushed stainless steel linked bracelet with large ANDROID® logo on the first links.

BandStainless steel
MovementSeagull TY2806 Automatic w/ 21 Jewels
CrystalMineral
CrownScrew Down
ClaspDeployant
Band Measurements9" L x 24mm W
Case Measurements48mm
Water Resistance20 ATM - 200 meters - 660 feet

Thanks. I got mine working, and the loose minute hand seems OK now. I could not get the second hand back on, but don't mind. Funny that mine had a fogged crystal too!
So when I smashed down the minute hand, I bent it, and it got stuck on a marker. So I just bent it back up, lol. Therefore, the second hand would stick on it, so it will stay off. It's not very useful in a non-chrono anyway. Still, I know you're like me and like to mess with this stuff. So someday. I'm might just replace it.

EDIT: Next time, Ill buy hand pushers, lol, instead of using tweezers.

Darn, I can't remember on what side of the crown that the button for the stem release is located. But I think it's on the left side. Either way, when you push into a hole, one is eventually going to release the stem.

Thanks Bill. When I clean the fog from the inside of crystal I'll take some photos or film a video of the release button. Android has been the worst brand for me by far when it comes to foggy crystals.:dunno:

giphy.gif

I really think for my second career I would like to go to a watchmaker school and learn about all this and do this kind of thing as a second career. Hopefully my eyes and hands will be steady and agree with that LOL

Sounds good, just remember not to stop for that second cup of coffee on the way to class! :)

Back
Top Bottom