Help with removing AR coating from a mineral crystal

ACE

Tyme Master
I have read a ton of stuff and still wonder.
Anybody have advice on removing some outer Anti Reflective coatings on a mineral crystal ??
Any help is greatly appreciated
View attachment 20304

I would recommend a fine diamond paste or lapidary paste. It is used for polishing glass (and other materials like gemstones, metals, etc.) and will remove the AR coating without marring the mineral glass surface. I've used it to remove scratches in actual crystals (sapphire and mineral) as well as to lessen AR scratches (a bit trickier and requires finesse and patience). I have also heard Polywatch will remove AR coating and should not mar the crystal surface. It's usually used for acrylic crystals, but will remove AR coatings, or so I have read. In all cases, test on a crystal you are willing to mess up first, mask off around the crystal to protect the watch, and of course, YMMV.

There's a lot of stuff on removing the AR outside coating on sapphire, but very little on doing it to a mineral crystal. I imagine the reason for not seeing much information on mineral is because it scratches relatively easy. IMO it would probably be better to replace the crystal if it's an easy size to source. Using AR coating on the outside of crystals is one of my pet peeves. IMO it's not worth the extra clarity gained. On a sapphire crystal it defeats the purpose of having the scratch resistance of sapphire because the outside AR coating scratches easily. Good luck Louis.

https://twcowatches.com/download/pdf/sapphire_versus_mineral_crystal_in_your_watch.pdf

I would recommend a fine diamond paste or lapidary paste. It is used for polishing glass (and other materials like gemstones, metals, etc.) and will remove the AR coating without marring the mineral glass surface. I've used it to remove scratches in actual crystals (sapphire and mineral) as well as to lessen AR scratches (a bit trickier and requires finesse and patience). I have also heard Polywatch will remove AR coating and should not mar the crystal surface. It's usually used for acrylic crystals, but will remove AR coatings, or so I have read. In all cases, test on a crystal you are willing to mess up first, mask off around the crystal to protect the watch, and of course, YMMV.

Something to practice on.... I wish View attachment 20331

A large ball peen hammer... that has always worked for me.

Maybe but not yet

5AnOxQl.gif

I would just buy a new non coated sapphire crystal, replace and be done.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.

I would just buy a new non coated sapphire crystal, replace and be done.

Sent from the White House on the tax payers dime.[/QUOT

That was not an option here. Flame Fusion was $$. Found a coated mineral crystal on the Bay and there ya go... :)

Back
Top Bottom