Does Invicta Suck?

roadwarrior

Grand Tyme Master
Founding Member
image.php
The Basel 2019 part ends around 4:58 or you can just skip the complete "No BS Watch Show" video.:dunno: That's 13:51 you won't have to worry about losing and never getting back.

Buy what you like, regardless of what others say or think.

"I own quite a few Invicta watches,hav for 15 plus yrs.,hav know issues with them,so yea I’m for Invicta"

"Riff is on point, invicta is following the market and trying to give a wide range of choices. They get my vote of confidence, their bad reputation is because they are misunderstood and its undeserved"

"If you like a watch then buy it, personally I really don't like Invicta. I appreciate it has walked people in to our great hobby but for my money there are alot better brands out there"

"I have a Pro Diver and I think it offers fantastic value for money. However, I also agree with some of the gripes people have with the brand in general. Their marketing makes them out to be a kind of lowest common denominator of mens' fashion. It's not a good look for them. They are more than just a fashion brand, though, using real movements and features in their products. They know how to make a decent watch, but their designers are apparently all 9 year old boys"

"I would not take any Invicta even for free. I think they make some outlandish models that are just a joke. I also think that their fan boys will buy just about anything because many think they are being cool or rebellious towards those they perceive to be snobs. In reality, the Invicta fan boys are the snobs. I always have a laugh when they claim that their watches are not only on par, but better than Rolex. Thank you but no, I'll keep my Rolex Submariner"

https://watchranker.com/invicta-watches-why-discounted/

Table of Contents

Watchranker should be changed to WatchWan..
Another apologist for the scum brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and monitored by the NSA

Good debate and pros and cons on both ends of spectrum.

I collected before Invicta, I bought a ton for awhile, and now maybe once or twice a year may pick one up, more if you count Glycine. I started buying invicta in 2002 or so because they were bargain priced, and were making pieces that were unlike anything else I owned(save for their tons of homage watches). They kept coming up with new designs which kept me into them for a long while. I rarely repeat watch designs and try to never buy the same case although I did buy a number of watches where I'd buy the cheaper quartz version and if I liked it would buy an upgraded auto, thus making the quartz pretty obsolete. I now can take a look back at the brand with watches from the 2000's into now days. If I take an original SubIII from when they first came out and compare it to what they are pushing out nowadays there is no comparison. Old, way better movement, Sapphire Crystal, much more detailed and better done dial work, bezel work, lots of A.R. coating. Just a better watch for your money. Most of my old Invicta's have better components then used now days. To me though I've just lost interest in huge watches with tons of gimmicks and lesser value packed inside them. Their dial work used to be much more intricate and using metals parts and more refined work. Nowadays tons of plastic pieces around the subdials, on the inner bezel, sloppy machine pressed work, less A.R. Coating, sloppy brush polishing, weak stems on the crowns. This stuff now matters to me way more then just looks. There are people who just buy because of looks and I was one and still can be fooled by something except I now after 25 years know the true value of components, and why they matter to me. I both dislike what they are making now and dislike their marketing via Evine as something they are not. I like that they are now listing actual origins of all their parts and where they are being assembled. Some honesty has actually been refreshing. They never had Swiss houses of assembly anyone could find and skirted the issue with the greatest of sleaze. At least some honesty makes them more legit in what they are selling to everyone. They aren't appealing to me much anymore but that is for my tastes in what I want to spend my money on. They just don't provide what I want often. Yet I can't judge people that love them as I still wear my watches from the past often. They make people happy, appeal to a large group, are very inexpensive when bought right, so that's great. Can I fairly compare them to more expensive, highly respected brands I buy, no way in hell. Does that mean I don't like them when I wear them though. No. I have some 100 plus brands of watches and the ones people compliment or ask me about by far more often would be a brand like Invicta, or Android, or old Renato's. People notice them because they are so different from the norm that they do stick out. No one asks me about my Oris's, Hamilton's, Edox's, Tissots, Fortis's, Gevril's, or any brands such as those I'm wearing. Would I trade any of those types watches for another Invicta no way in hell. Does that mean Invicta sucks. I don't think any more then a few of my older Invicta's like a Sapphire Ghost, or a few old COSC auto's would get any value or respect from watch purists. They to me should be viewed as fun, fashionable if they appeal to you, inexpensive if bought right, learn their history, expect some trouble if you buy many, just lose the chip on your shoulder as they are not in the league they like to claim they are up there with. Just have fun if you love them, just don't try and convince people they are more then what they are and everyone would get a long with the brand better. That's my long term thesis and waste of time typing and waste of time for people's reading opinion on a brand I know very well.

I collected before Invicta, I bought a ton for awhile, and now maybe once or twice a year may pick one up, more if you count Glycine. I started buying invicta in 2002 or so because they were bargain priced, and were making pieces that were unlike anything else I owned(save for their tons of homage watches). They kept coming up with new designs which kept me into them for a long while. I rarely repeat watch designs and try to never buy the same case although I did buy a number of watches where I'd buy the cheaper quartz version and if I liked it would buy an upgraded auto, thus making the quartz pretty obsolete. I now can take a look back at the brand with watches from the 2000's into now days. If I take an original SubIII from when they first came out and compare it to what they are pushing out nowadays there is no comparison. Old, way better movement, Sapphire Crystal, much more detailed and better done dial work, bezel work, lots of A.R. coating. Just a better watch for your money. Most of my old Invicta's have better components then used now days. To me though I've just lost interest in huge watches with tons of gimmicks and lesser value packed inside them. Their dial work used to be much more intricate and using metals parts and more refined work. Nowadays tons of plastic pieces around the subdials, on the inner bezel, sloppy machine pressed work, less A.R. Coating, sloppy brush polishing, weak stems on the crowns. This stuff now matters to me way more then just looks. There are people who just buy because of looks and I was one and still can be fooled by something except I now after 25 years know the true value of components, and why they matter to me. I both dislike what they are making now and dislike their marketing via Evine as something they are not. I like that they are now listing actual origins of all their parts and where they are being assembled. Some honesty has actually been refreshing. They never had Swiss houses of assembly anyone could find and skirted the issue with the greatest of sleaze. At least some honesty makes them more legit in what they are selling to everyone. They aren't appealing to me much anymore but that is for my tastes in what I want to spend my money on. They just don't provide what I want often. Yet I can't judge people that love them as I still wear my watches from the past often. They make people happy, appeal to a large group, are very inexpensive when bought right, so that's great. Can I fairly compare them to more expensive, highly respected brands I buy, no way in hell. Does that mean I don't like them when I wear them though. No. I have some 100 plus brands of watches and the ones people compliment or ask me about by far more often would be a brand like Invicta, or Android, or old Renato's. People notice them because they are so different from the norm that they do stick out. No one asks me about my Oris's, Hamilton's, Edox's, Tissots, Fortis's, Gevril's, or any brands such as those I'm wearing. Would I trade any of those types watches for another Invicta no way in hell. Does that mean Invicta sucks. I don't think any more then a few of my older Invicta's like a Sapphire Ghost, or a few old COSC auto's would get any value or respect from watch purists. They to me should be viewed as fun, fashionable if they appeal to you, inexpensive if bought right, learn their history, expect some trouble if you buy many, just lose the chip on your shoulder as they are not in the league they like to claim they are up there with. Just have fun if you love them, just don't try and convince people they are more then what they are and everyone would get a long with the brand better.

Agree 100% and I was right there with you, circa 2006-09. Then things got a little weird and it was time to move on. Still love the original SAN II and III autos though.

Unfortunately if people watch all those videos and read what I wrote they have just wasted some valuable time in their life they can't get back. Recommend just go with your own opinion it's best for you. Unless of course you have never experienced Invicta.

I can always get something out of these videos. It's no different from any other form of entertainment. The stop button is one click away. I like to hear all opinions and always find some amusement in them as well as some useful information. The worst useless videos are a better use of my idle time than the garbage on the news about swamp creatures I have no control over.

I can always get something out of these videos. It's no different from any other form of entertainment. The stop button is one click away. I like to hear all opinions and always find some amusement in them as well as some useful information. The worst useless videos are a better use of my idle time than the garbage on the news about swamp creatures I have no control over.

I agree as I watched the videos. I like the production of the Urban Gentry's and he was and usually is honest to himself and fair to people who may disagree. I like that you post all these video's as they are something I really enjoy or sometimes have to just click off, but always something I'm open to checking out. Thanks for all the vid's you post up here.

I collected before Invicta, I bought a ton for awhile, and now maybe once or twice a year may pick one up, more if you count Glycine. I started buying invicta in 2002 or so because they were bargain priced, and were making pieces that were unlike anything else I owned(save for their tons of homage watches). They kept coming up with new designs which kept me into them for a long while. I rarely repeat watch designs and try to never buy the same case although I did buy a number of watches where I'd buy the cheaper quartz version and if I liked it would buy an upgraded auto, thus making the quartz pretty obsolete. I now can take a look back at the brand with watches from the 2000's into now days. If I take an original SubIII from when they first came out and compare it to what they are pushing out nowadays there is no comparison. Old, way better movement, Sapphire Crystal, much more detailed and better done dial work, bezel work, lots of A.R. coating. Just a better watch for your money. Most of my old Invicta's have better components then used now days. To me though I've just lost interest in huge watches with tons of gimmicks and lesser value packed inside them. Their dial work used to be much more intricate and using metals parts and more refined work. Nowadays tons of plastic pieces around the subdials, on the inner bezel, sloppy machine pressed work, less A.R. Coating, sloppy brush polishing, weak stems on the crowns. This stuff now matters to me way more then just looks. There are people who just buy because of looks and I was one and still can be fooled by something except I now after 25 years know the true value of components, and why they matter to me. I both dislike what they are making now and dislike their marketing via Evine as something they are not. I like that they are now listing actual origins of all their parts and where they are being assembled. Some honesty has actually been refreshing. They never had Swiss houses of assembly anyone could find and skirted the issue with the greatest of sleaze. At least some honesty makes them more legit in what they are selling to everyone. They aren't appealing to me much anymore but that is for my tastes in what I want to spend my money on. They just don't provide what I want often. Yet I can't judge people that love them as I still wear my watches from the past often. They make people happy, appeal to a large group, are very inexpensive when bought right, so that's great. Can I fairly compare them to more expensive, highly respected brands I buy, no way in hell. Does that mean I don't like them when I wear them though. No. I have some 100 plus brands of watches and the ones people compliment or ask me about by far more often would be a brand like Invicta, or Android, or old Renato's. People notice them because they are so different from the norm that they do stick out. No one asks me about my Oris's, Hamilton's, Edox's, Tissots, Fortis's, Gevril's, or any brands such as those I'm wearing. Would I trade any of those types watches for another Invicta no way in hell. Does that mean Invicta sucks. I don't think any more then a few of my older Invicta's like a Sapphire Ghost, or a few old COSC auto's would get any value or respect from watch purists. They to me should be viewed as fun, fashionable if they appeal to you, inexpensive if bought right, learn their history, expect some trouble if you buy many, just lose the chip on your shoulder as they are not in the league they like to claim they are up there with. Just have fun if you love them, just don't try and convince people they are more then what they are and everyone would get a long with the brand better. That's my long term thesis and waste of time typing and waste of time for people's reading opinion on a brand I know very well.

I would have to agree with you for the most part. I was in deep for some years too. The older pieces (Invicta as well as Android and Renato's) they made were definitely different from what was out there and that appealed to me. Not so much now-a-days although I have many in my collection and still have most of them today. But as in a lot of things my tastes have changed and bigger is not better for me anymore. I rarely wear anything over 44mm in any brand so my Invicta's hardly ever see any wrist time. Once I realized the games Lalo was playing and the distortions he made I was turned off completely by him and the brand. I haven't bought a watch from them in more than 8 yrs. maybe more. It's doubtful that I'll ever buy another...

With that being said, I know lots of folks love them and that's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks as they say... Watch collecting is a wonderful hobby and I have but one simply rule. Buy what you love and can afford. That's it, now go out there and buy a friggin watch... even if it is an Invicta!

I would have to agree with you for the most part. I was in deep for some years too. The older pieces (Invicta as well as Android and Renato's) they made were definitely different from what was out there and that appealed to me. Not so much now-a-days although I have many in my collection and still have most of them today. But as in a lot of things my tastes have changed and bigger is not better for me anymore. I rarely wear anything over 44mm in any brand so my Invicta's hardly ever see any wrist time. Once I realized the games Lalo was playing and the distortions he made I was turned off completely by him and the brand. I haven't bought a watch from them in more than 8 yrs. maybe more. It's doubtful that I'll ever buy another...

With that being said, I know lots of folks love them and that's what makes the world go round. Different strokes for different folks as they say... Watch collecting is a wonderful hobby and I have but one simply rule. Buy what you love and can afford. That's it, now go out there and buy a friggin watch... even if it is an Invicta!

I still pull one out when I'm out drinking with my two brothers. Not worried about falling down drunk and breaking one or scratching the crap out of it, or testing it's water resistance by the amount of beer spilled on it over the course of the night as it wouldn't be any real loss. They do get noticed but at my age that probably isn't important anymore anyways. Great post at a one fifth of the words I rambled on.

In a word, no. They don’t suck but there are lots of options in watches. Some do it better and some don’t. When you’re just starting to collect they are fantastic because for the most part you can get a watch for not a lot of money and learn more about the hobby as I’m sure most of us did through them. They don’t suck but there’s a lot they can do better. We’ve all found that out as we have learned more through experience and on this website. I’ll still buy a watch of theirs from time to time but I’m much more selective

Define "suck".

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

Are we talking poly? Because yes, Invicta poly is​ what sucks.

Some do, some don't. I am particularly fond of the 9937s with the SW200-1 in them. I also have a bunch of the 7750 and SW500 chronos, but seldom wear them because they are kind of gaudy. I just found the intricacy of some of these case designs interesting. I have been grabbing up Glycines in the past year and so far they are not disappointing me.

I like the definition of fashion watch to this company. That's what had drawn my attention and then my money. I just would like to see better movements, instead of the 'throw-away' cheap Z movements. I think it lowers the value, and my own appeal. But if they sell many and make money honestly, then I guess that they have achieved their goal. So, 'someone will like them and buy them'. Yep.

With a $3 Z movement, the joke is on the buyer, IMO.

I treat my new one's as costume jewelry and try to keep the price around $100...it's hard to take a watch company seriously that has a spread of $49 - $2k. IMO

I love my TV watches! I'll never let them go! LOL. They're pretty much like a big Mac. They hit the spot every now and then but just not every day. all kidding aside I don't pay much more than about $100 for these things and they're fun to play around with.
3655837195a23743255f0e4baa62ee68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I love my TV watches! I'll never let them go! LOL. They're pretty much like a big Mac. They hit the spot every now and then but just not every day. all kidding aside I don't pay much more than about $100 for these things and they're fun to play around with.
3655837195a23743255f0e4baa62ee68.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I've always called them The White Castles of the watch industry. You won't eat just one, you'll eat a ton of them. You'll get heartburn and take a break then have a Six pack of beer and crave some more White Castles. Repeat many times with less and less frequency as you start to get a serious gut ache every time you even eat a couple more. You move on to finer dining or many other fast food joints and remember your White Castle days as a learning curve for what you can stomach safely. Of course you'll go on a bender and get the old craving once in awhile and forget maybe and eat a couple more but realize smashing down a crave case will make you feel like crap and go back to finer dining.

Back
Top Bottom