Stainless Steel plated??

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnro6659

Tyme Machine
I just ordered a watch that has a solid SS case but in the description it says it has a SS plated bracelet. (???) I did a quick search and can't find any info on SS plating aside from plating over SS with other metals but nothing on plating SS over another metal. I used to do Electro Plating in the past. Gold, Silver etc. I even looked thru my old sources and not 1 think about plating something with Stainless. I emailed the company but not sure how fast they will get back to me at all about it.

What brand is said watch? Will post a link? Curiosity certainly got the better of me.

Wouldn't it be cost saving to just use SS over plating SS? Must be using Sterling Silver
as suggested by JD?!

Guessing they are talking chrome over nickel or other base metals.. Never have heard of actual stainless steel plating. I have cheap watches that have chrome plating and it's easily scratched off. If you can't find SS plating on the internet anywhere does it actually exist.

Mystery Metal plated in SS, Hmmmmm?

jake-gyllenhaal-is-in-talks-to-play-mysterioin-the-sequel-to-spider-man-homecoming-social.jpg

It could be the stainless steel version of Swiss gold layering stainless steel bonded to stainless steel at the molecular level

Maybe they meant the base metal is ss and that is plated with something else????

It seems the cost of plating something with Stainless would be a lot more expensive than using Stainless itself. Truthfully it is a little confusing. When I get it and size it I am going to use a small drill and test the metal see what is under it if there is anything under it.

I think it is just laziness in web design as even the obviously plated case versions say "Stainless Steel case with Stainless-Steel Plated band". Looks like every model uses this generic statement whether the case, bracelet, both or neither are "plated". My guess is it's SS and you have lazy web authors.

I agree with Roy. I think they were pulling a description from one of their plated models. I wouldn't worry about it being a base metal with SS plating.

I got a reply from them and they say it's plated Stainless Steal but they didn't say what it's plated with. Maybe it's chrome plated to make it really shiny. Either way it came today and didn't work! Think the battery was dead but I noticed a big gash in the bezel near the 12:00 looks like it was dropped on something hard so I sent it back to Area Trend and asked for a replacement. Hopefully they will have more in stock. I really liked it a lot, much better in person than in the pics on the web site! Very Disappointed not the first time I got a dead battery in a watch if it wasn't for the mark I would have just put a new battery in it, I keep a good stock of the more common batteries. I'll post pics when the replacement gets here if they still have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom