Seiko Sumo New Addition and Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really appreciate everyone's input. I've read on other forums that people struggle with the Sumo mod/gap...suggestions were offered but none as good as right here on WIT! So thank you.

At least for now, I'm trying to do this without spending any more money (having already spend over $400 on the watch--this was NOT a Lee special ha! And it was the JDM version.....). I'm sure like many of you, I have a box of straps and aftermarket bracelets, so I'm determined to try to make something work that I already own.

Here is my plan of action:

1. Try the Nato again
2. Size the factory bracelet--maybe it will look better once sized and on the wrist.
3. I've sent an email to SteveO asking him about the Para Canvas for the Sumo.....If I'm gonna spend money on it, I feel like he's the best way to go in terms of value. 4. Will also look into Arthur's rubber strap find. Again, trying to keep the budget down. Knowing me, within a month or two I will have both the SteveO strap AND Arthur's Crafter Blue strap hahaha!

I will post pics....

It's a great watch, tc. I'm sure you'll get the strap/bracelet issue sorted out......eventually. :wink:

I know you will find the right MOD because you have great stock.
Congrats on that Sumo grab.

Alright Alright Alright!

Tried on a different Nato and the setup looks way better. I think the other strap was somehow like a 19mm or maybe even an 18mm. In any case, I stumbled upon this one in the box and Voila!

Now I'm happy. In fact I love it! Thanks for the push guys.....

(Oh, yea, and I didn't spend a penny!) :grin

View attachment 7452

This strap is way more stout than the other one I was trying....more wrist presence.

View attachment 7453

View attachment 7454

That strap looks good.

My own experiments in changing out Seiko's stuff have not gone so well. A black bracelet on a titanium Tuna looks pretty good but the balance goes haywire. Probably the result of a titanium body with a strap which, comparatively, feels like it's made of depleted uranium.

It's lifespan will be very short before the rubber strap goes back on.

K2f8cPz.jpg

By the way, now that you're all in on the JDM may I express my sincere condolences for what is about to happen to your wallet?

HA!

Awesome looking Spring Drive you have there. I'm steering clear of the higher end stuff (for the moment, anyway).

But you're so right about "What is about to happen to my wallet". Really, I just want to buy Seikos now....and wear Seikos.

Since I've gotten the Natos working on the Sumo, I've worn it every day, which is rare for me, to say the least. Found a nato deal on Amazon--2 straps for $2.99 shipped (a Bond and a black) and have been switching those around on the Sumo to mix it up.

I went from consternation to jubilation on this Sumo and now I'm lovin' life and can't get it off of my wrist.

Now I have a blue Stargate JDM in my eBay shopping cart.....every day there's one or two less available from the seller. I really need to pull the trigger soon or I risk (gulp) losing it.

These Seikos REALLY get you hooked, and good. :band:

That strap looks good.

My own experiments in changing out Seiko's stuff have not gone so well. A black bracelet on a titanium Tuna looks pretty good but the balance goes haywire. Probably the result of a titanium body with a strap which, comparatively, feels like it's made of depleted uranium.

It's lifespan will be very short before the rubber strap goes back on.

K2f8cPz.jpg

By the way, now that you're all in on the JDM may I express my sincere condolences for what is about to happen to your wallet?

The top stitching on that black really does it for me. And as far as "Hooked on Seiko" goes... I'm addicted. At least to the divers. So boy, do I understand!?!

First of all, thank you TimeTraveler for posting the pic of your Blumo on the Nato. That is what convinced me to try another nato on my Sumo. Low and behold I realized I had been using a smaller Nato...not sure what it was doing in the drawer and why I didn't realize that it was too narrow for the lugs. If I hadn't seen your pics I might not have gone back to try another nato.

That particular nato came with a fortis I bought from ShopNBC a couple of years ago, I think. It wasn't part of a watch set, just a freebie they threw in the box when Fortis first came onto Shop. So it's a pretty cool strap, from that perspective.

Agree....I also am only hooked on the Auto Divers....for the moment, anyway. :grin

The top stitching on that black really does it for me. And as far as "Hooked on Seiko" goes... I'm addicted. At least to the divers. So boy, do I understand!?!

^^^^^:outstand::up::applaud:​^^^^^

I've always had a soft spot for Seiko's. That's the very first watch I bought for myself and I never lost a taste for them. Great builds and movements at a price most anyone can afford. For whatever reason, they always seem to lend themselves well to NATO straps. Easy switch outs and different looks on a daily basis. Very cool!

Congrats and enjoy yours.

HA!

Awesome looking Spring Drive you have there. I'm steering clear of the higher end stuff (for the moment, anyway).

But you're so right about "What is about to happen to my wallet". Really, I just want to buy Seikos now....and wear Seikos.

Since I've gotten the Natos working on the Sumo, I've worn it every day, which is rare for me, to say the least. Found a nato deal on Amazon--2 straps for $2.99 shipped (a Bond and a black) and have been switching those around on the Sumo to mix it up.

I went from consternation to jubilation on this Sumo and now I'm lovin' life and can't get it off of my wrist.

Now I have a blue Stargate JDM in my eBay shopping cart.....every day there's one or two less available from the seller. I really need to pull the trigger soon or I risk (gulp) losing it.

These Seikos REALLY get you hooked, and good. :band:

Yup. You are so doomed. But at least the ride is fun.

I've petitioned DEA to categorize Seiko 5s as a "gateway drug" but they're still being sold to people thinking they'll pick up a nice automatic for under 200.00 with no warning whatsoever what it's store for them. If they continue they'll be hooked. First with a couple JDMs from Amazon or Ebay, then tracking down Urishis and Cocktail Times, then going to a GS AD. And it happens faster than a cat can lick his behind which is very quick indeed.

Best bet is a combination of fiscal responsibility perhaps combined with an attentive and unforgiving spouse.

I'm at like 10 days in a row with the Sumo Wrestler....maybe took one day off to wear my Citizen AutoZilla/DB mod.....

Still wearing the Sumo with the Natos, and very happy.

^^^^^Just :outstand: TC!:good::applaud:^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom